Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Led and me and the Ko`olau
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2022 :  2:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do the Ko`olau haunt you? My heart aches when I see those towering green mountains. "Nani Ko`olau" is not a praise song for the mountain, much more a rascally ballad of love and liquor, but plenty fun all the same. Led took me to the Hawaiian Memorial Park and the view of the mountains was spectacular. My sweet Lynnie came along to shoot the wide shot, this is what we wound up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCNdYk8EE0

Hope you enjoy.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2022 :  04:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real easy on the eyes & ears :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2022 :  3:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fran, I just recently watched a 2020 episode of "Live at the Old Steeple" on PBS where you and Led played. It was so much fun that my smile got a bit sore. I always enjoy your videos too, so keep 'em coming. They ARE appreciated. It would be great to meet and kani someday, but the last time I was in your area of NorCal was more than 25 years ago. I don't get west of Idaho very much these days.

It has now been seven years since our last trip to Oahu, and that was for a work conference - plus some music while there. We got to see Uncle Cyril play at the Kani Kapila Grille at the Outrigger, attend the Thursday night jam at the beach behind the police station in Waikiki, and play along with the house band at the hotel pool bar. Good times.
Go to Top of Page

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2022 :  4:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite soothing for the soul…..the mountains !!!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2022 :  06:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Fran, I just recently watched a 2020 episode of "Live at the Old Steeple" on PBS where you and Led played. It was so much fun that my smile got a bit sore. I always enjoy your videos too, so keep 'em coming. They ARE appreciated. It would be great to meet and kani someday, but the last time I was in your area of NorCal was more than 25 years ago. I don't get west of Idaho very much these days.

It has now been seven years since our last trip to Oahu, and that was for a work conference - plus some music while there. We got to see Uncle Cyril play at the Kani Kapila Grille at the Outrigger, attend the Thursday night jam at the beach behind the police station in Waikiki, and play along with the house band at the hotel pool bar. Good times.

I still haven't seen that video but my memory of it is pretty embarrassing for me, my playing was pretty weak. But it was a big kick catching Led playing surf music!

We've been missing the kanikapila that used to happen regularly around our home, I'm not sure how we'll get things going again because we've lost touch with the old gang for many different reasons. I have been assigned the task of finding players though.

I don't know if the police station jam is still going on, we rarely find ourselves in Waikiki these days. Although we did pay a visit to the Hyatt Regency to catch Jerry Santos. He was playing with Haunani Apoliona, Ku`uipo Kumukahi, and Ryan Tang. I wound up on stage playing Jerry's guitar while Led played Haunani's 12 string.

I really don't enjoy all the rigamarole of travelling but the two big days of stress at either end are worth the days of music and fun in between.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2022 :  06:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mahimahi

Quite soothing for the soul…..the mountains !!!

That sweeping backdrop is a big part of what makes the windward side so special, I think.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2022 :  07:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still haven't seen that video but my memory of it is pretty embarrassing for me, my playing was pretty weak. But it was a big kick catching Led playing surf music!

We've been missing the kanikapila that used to happen regularly around our home, I'm not sure how we'll get things going again because we've lost touch with the old gang for many different reasons. I have been assigned the task of finding players though.

I don't know if the police station jam is still going on, we rarely find ourselves in Waikiki these days. Although we did pay a visit to the Hyatt Regency to catch Jerry Santos. He was playing with Haunani Apoliona, Ku`uipo Kumukahi, and Ryan Tang. I wound up on stage playing Jerry's guitar while Led played Haunani's 12 string.
Fran

Your playing was fine IMHO. You seemed to be laying off and discretely backing Led rather than taking your turn, but it was all good. The surf music was a treat too.

Since our last trip was pre-plague, I have no idea if the Waikiki police station kani still happens on Thursday evenings. I know that our local gatherings here in Idaho were greatly affected and have not fully recovered. It didn't help that we lost one of the kupuna and then his daughter stopped her hula halau. They were dancing in a fairly small room, so it was too risky for the elders living in the home.

I will be at an "invite only" weekend gathering in Kennewick, WA at the end of the month. The last two years were cancelled but this year is still on as of right now. It is unfortunately getting harder to connect with aloha.....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000