Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tab for Hamakua
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parlorplayer
Aloha

16 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2022 :  07:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just went to a small concert at Sunday’s Guitars and was awed by Ken Emerson’s diversity and artistry . I’d love to learn “ Hamakua “ . he said it was in open “ D “.
I don’t see any tab for it anywhere . Thanks for any help . I can find my way through some of it…

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that he has a web site. An email request might net you the tab, possibly for a small fee.

I have always done better remembering songs that I've had to figure out for myself. It is always harder to learn and play exactly what another player is doing. You have some strong clues already. You know the tuning, which is the hardest part. Now figure out the chord progression -- most likely I-IV-V or some variation. So the chords will most likely be D-G-A. From there find a few licks and start using them. Before long, you'll have your version of the song.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2022 :  10:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great suggestion Earl

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

parlorplayer
Aloha

16 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2022 :  7:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information and advice ! I actually did ask if he had tab available ..but he doesn’t . You’re right of course .if I work my way through it I’ll learn more .
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2022 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is probably typical for a pro player to NOT have tabs for his songs. They compose and polish songs to be performance grade or for recording. But usually the only reason to have tabs is if they intend to sell tabs or are assembling a book or instructional DVD to sell. Most often those tabs are done by others, not the artist.

I recall one Aloha Music Camp, probably 2007. There was a song in the intermediate slack-key class that was taught using the traditional Hawaiian look-see method - no tabs, no written handouts. "Watch my hands, listen hard, and do what I do". One fellow in the class recorded the kumu playing the tune, then shared the recording with me. I tabbed it out and shared the tabs with everyone after the camp (The kumu got a copy too so he would have it). I probably spent 8-10 hours tabbing out a song that I was already playing decently. It was not really the best use of my time, but a service to my classmates and my teacher.

We have a friend in Alaska who is a former national champion mountain dulcimer player. My wife traded lessons with him in exchange for tabs of the songs she was learning. She is classically trained and prefers to read music, but isn't great at memorization. He is a folk musician and barely reads music. Both thought it was a fair deal. He now had tabs to give to his other students, and she learned a new instrument pretty well from a master.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000