Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Moon Kauakahi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2023 :  08:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always been a big fan of the Makaha sons and, especially, Moon Kauakahi. I know that he split from the Sons a few years ago and Gerome Koko rebuilt the trio. I understood at the time that Moon didn't want to travel anymore and so on. So. I've been watching some Hawaiin music videos on Youtube and find Moon playing often with Ho`okena. Not complaining; still great music. One of the videos was them doing "He Hawaii Au" with about 50 hula dancers in Japan. Also Ke Alaula - one of the Son's standards written by Moon. He's still great, but I was wondering if anyone knew the real story. Did he recant on traveling? Just didn't want to work with Gerome anymore? Who knows? Just curious.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 02/27/2023 06:49:16 AM

BODA
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2023 :  08:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now don't quote me, what I was told and this is not the specific reason, it was an accumulation of reasons, Moon was and still is, working for the Lili'uokalani Trust as the Community Building Facilitator, he has also been active in the military and the National Guard for close to 30 years. I heard his main priority was securing his retirement, and being out on the road days and weeks at a time was cutting this short. So there's one reason. As I am sure there are many personal reasons he decided to stop with the MS. I can imagine the luster of keeping the synonymous trio alive was not an easy thing for him to walk away from, but I can only speculate that being the leader of the group for a few decades had its trials and tribulations both sweet and sour. As for Jerome, with a "J" really, the MS is all he has, I'm guessing but I don't believe he has a 401k from the MS waiting for him, so he has to keep it going.
Fine by me, I don't want the party to end any time soon anyway. No matter who is standing next to Jerome. From the first time I heard them until today typing this here, I have and will remain a dedicated fan to the group, if anything just to keep the essence alive, I don't mind being one of the last men standing...

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2023 :  05:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info; the retirement stuff makes a lot of sense now. Never thought of that. Anyway, I agree about the MS. If you'd never heard or seen John and Jerome and Moon, the current cast sounds pretty good. My wife and I have been big fans for decades, following them around the mainland when they were here (Santa Barbara, Costa Mesa, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and so on; 12 Christmas shows in San Diego). Chatted with them at Whittier College a couple of years ago and realized that they are really old guys. But, so are we. Still my favorite Hawaiian music ever. Moon playing with Ho`okena is still an unexpected treat. Love those guys too.
Go to Top of Page

BODA
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2023 :  3:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome, Glad you are still a fan, we need that...
Please visit our YouTube channel and subscribe and choose "All" if you have not already. Link: https://www.youtube.com/ @ THEMAKAHASONS

For some weird reason the link to their YouTube channel is not coming out correctly when I post this here.
There is no space betwwen the forward slash/ the @ and THEMAKAHASONS. I'm sure you will figure it out.

Also please go to our Twitter account, if you have a Twitter account, and "Follow" us there too, this will keep you up on all the upcoming shows they will be performing at and the latest events the group is involved with. Twitter: https://twitter.com/THEMAKAHASONS
My name is Boda, I am the creator and Admin for both the Makaha Sons YouTube and Twitter accounts.
I am their social media liaison, video editor and graphic designer. After a long sabbatical, I am back and will soon be adding more recent photos, and videos of the group featuring Jerome, Kimo and Hanale.
Their website is also another source for up and coming shows.
As far as their next show in the mainland it will be "Friday July 21st 2023 in Vancouver, Washington."
Makaha Sons website: http://makahasons.com/
Mahalo for your inquiries and time to reply back.
Boda

Edited by - BODA on 07/06/2023 3:49:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2023 :  05:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal BODA and Mahalo for the posting and information.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000