Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila Waimanalo Beach park
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2023 :  9:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha friends,

On Saturday April 22nd there will be a Kanikapila in Waimanalo Beach park starting at 9 AM.

This date coincides with the birthday of Gabby Pahinui.

There are a number of featured acts and admission is free. Attendants are welcome— and encouraged— to bring their instruments and voices to add to the music!!

I will be there with my good friend Doug Fitch. Please come by and talk story with us if you attend! The event will also be broadcast here: https://m.facebook.com/128829380496775/

Hope to see you there!

With warmest Aloha,

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2023 :  07:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I finally ventured out into a public setting and overcame some stage fright. I joined a local group in Asheville, NC called Guitar League Asheville. They meet once a month for two hours. The first hour is for a local musician to come and play and answer questions from the audience. The second hour breaks into groups including a song circle where each person is able to play a song and sing if they want. My first meeting I introduced Ki Ho Alu and told a brief story of it's origins. No one really knew about it. I played Salomilla and Slack Key Blues that I learned from Mark Nelson and the second month I performed Sanoe and Radio Hula.. They really enjoyed the introduction. I made a few mistakes but I am getting more comfortble. Next month I think I'll play Molokai'i Waltz and E Ku U Morning Dew. Keeping Slack Key alive in the North Carolina Mountains!

Ron Leach

Edited by - rleach on 09/17/2023 09:15:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2023 :  09:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good for you! It amazes me how often ki ho'alu is new to people., but I only discovered it ~20 years ago myself thanks to Mark Nelson, after playing acoustic fingerstyle guitar for a long time. I try to play some slack key every time I perform somewhere, which is much less often these days.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2023 :  05:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Earl. I’ll keep pressn!

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA