Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A music theory question, parallel 6ths
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2023 :  12:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Despite playing parallel 6ths and 3rds for decades, I never really thought too much about the notes involved in the intervals. My question is how do the intervals relate to the harmonized scale for Taro Patch or do they? For parallel 6ths, I get the notes (G (3) and D (1) strings) are G-E, A-F#, B-G, C-A, D-B, E-C, F#-D. Question : how are the intervals derived? B-G, E-C and F#-D use the flatted 6ths (minor 6ths (right?). How do these relate to the harmonized scale? Maybe there is no relationship. Thirds offer the same confusion on my part. I'm sure one or more of you guys will know this.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 05/22/2023 12:45:09 PM

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2023 :  05:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Intriguing question, and one that I'm not qualified to answer without some serious thinking (way too early in the day for that). As I often say, I am unburdened by formal music education, having learned on the streets.

Now that you mention it, parallel sixths seems weird while parallel thirds makes sense. Harmony uses notes from the scale associated with a given chord, ie: 1-3-5 for major chords and 1-3b-5 for minor chords. A sixth in there could be discordant, but it works. Following the thread for real answers....
Go to Top of Page

qihai
Aloha

11 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2023 :  10:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It always made sense to me to look at 6ths as backward 3rds! For example - the 6th B-G, I look at as the 3rd G-B (G-A-B a Major 3rd). 6ths and 3rds relate to different chords in the scale of your Root chord (In this case G). For example - B-G relates to the G chord, C-A are notes in the D7 chord, D-B are notes in the G chord, E-C are notes in the C chord, F#--D are notes in the D Chord.
3rd's would be similar. So, yes some would be discordant to the Root Chord, in this case G. Yes, sometimes the 6ths and 3rds are Major or Minor depending on what the Root Scale is.
I have fun with this sometimes, I hope it makes some sense. It's confusing to try to put it down in writing.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2023 :  11:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this makes sense. My take is: to not compare to the harmonized scale. I think Jeff Peterson refers to them as outlining (suggesting ) chords. Maybe that's what I'll say is happening. I'll have to study the reverse 3rds concept. Thanks for the insight.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 05/23/2023 11:53:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2023 :  06:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No moa stress, jus' press. If it sounds right, shoots! MOst Hawaiian music has a "soft" sound as opposed to 1-4 or 1-5 types of harmony (common in Shape Note hymn singing - what the first missionaries brought to the islands). Softer sounding 3rds and 6ths (same harmony, spaced wider with the "1" on top and the "3" on the botton) were partly the result of the Mexican vaqueros style of music. This was reinforced by Portuguese and later Puerto Rican and Filipino music, all of which used more of an Iberian style harmony.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000