Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 2023 Live Aloha Festival
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2023 :  4:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Sunday, Sept 10, the Live Aloha Festival will be at the Seattle Center. There will be a special program highlighting the contribution of Manuiki Lono, noted kumu hula, to the Hawaiian community of the PNW.

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2023 :  10:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be fun Thumbs but I just made a run over your way last weekend and visited Neej, and two road trips so close together will not work for me. Enjoy!

I have lost my local connections to the Hawaiian community around Boise again. Uncle passed away and his daughter has not reactivated her hula halau after that tragedy and the plague. A key dancer and uke player moved back to the islands two years ago, and the remaining uncle is in rather poor health and does not come often. So I've given up on the ukulele club that I founded in 2008. They were determined to stay at the beginner level and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to play Kokee and Wahine Ilikea. They think that Hawaiian music begins and ends with Tiny Bubbles and the like. So I stopped trying.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2023 :  2:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl, humans can be their own worst disappointment. Keep playing the music you like, bumbye you'll fine folks to kanikapila with. Stay positive. Search out all of the halau in your area, you may be surprized at what you find.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2023 :  05:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thumbs, I have looked for other local halau with no luck. You would think that someone who can pay ukulele and slack key would be welcomed, but there just isn't much happening around here as key people move on. And I no longer have the energy to start up building something.

Most of my musical outlet is small jams at home with other old guys playing classic rock and a weekly bluegrass jam. Not much Hawaiian music at either. But I still play it for myself.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2023 :  07:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't give up, Earl. Things happen when you don't expect it. Keep playing Bluegrass - Gabby once said that backyard ki ho'alu is what Bluegrass is to the mainland.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000