Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Keola Beamer: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  10:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  11:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
this is the book that hooked me on slack key. i have played bluegrass for many years and some of the basic delta blues numbers for a few years when i bought this book on a whim (we've been to hawaii many times and i've always liked the music, but i knew mainly hapa haole stuff for the uke). i first listened to the CD when driving to work, and i had to pull over when he played the first number. it's "isa lei", a relatively simple piece in F wahine, but his arrangement brought me to tears.

that was two years ago. i highly recommend this book. it's not a beginning book by any stretch; you should be able to finger pick well and you should be comfortable with barre chords. i like the style of hansen's books much more: he gives you more music theory and tells you the chords you're playing (which i find a big help). indeed, finally put this book aside in favor of hansen's to concentrate on one tuning, taro patch, since keola jumps from tuning to tuning and so i felt i was learning only to parrot him (i also take lessons now). but, until soliliquy came out, this CD was my favorite of keola's.

keith

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000