Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BILL TAPIA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  5:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
just got a call from the big island asking me to wish bill a happy birthday on monday's show. well, today january 1, 2004 is his birthday. he's 96 years young and still strumming. he has a new cd coming out in a couple months. how about this fact -- bill played uso shows for the troops during the first world war. happy birthday, bill! may your music keep you ever young.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  9:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a career! Yes, happy birthday Mr. Tapia and many more.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  7:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Happy B Day, Mr. Tapia --
Wouldn't it be great to see a newspaper article on you "Still strumming at 100."
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  9:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I do not know Mr. Tapia but 96 - wow! Happy Birthday!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage
Hi Gang,

I'm a bit late in replying to this thread.

This man is absolutely inspirational. 96 well-lived years under his belt with full faculties, youthful dexterity and a kolohe sense of humor. His "local boy" gleam in his eyes still peeks through after all those years.

He epitomizes the saying, "It's never too late." With his 2002 release, he has made a comeback, performing at gigs in the Southland and Hawai`i. These days, he is featured and deservedly feted at 'ukulele and music festivals.

http://starbulletin.com/2002/11/15/features/story1.html

What a fantastic 'ukulele player he is! His 'Stars and Stripes Forever'is as rivetting now as "in the streets of Honolulu with the 'ukulele behind his head when he was about 10 years old."

Mr. Bill Tapia came into my awareness unexpectedly. I have been so much the richer since... I chronicled that day here: http://www.geocities.com/sptmbrmrn/051902.htm

There are some wonderful photos of him in his younger days with his family, as well as a few photos I took of him that day and later at a dinner honoring him.

Thanks for telling me about his birthday! Every day that Bill walks the Earth and plays his 'ukulele is a good day.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to all here,
Aunty D

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  12:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
aunty d, you could share those pix of bill with catfish and he could post them on the ukulele community photo album http://www.catfish1952.com/album.html
aloha akbar!
uke jackson

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  12:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Has any other artist ever played at the opening of a venue (Royal Hawaiian Hotel), AND at its 75th anniversary? Amazing. He must not eat plate lunch like I do!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000