Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Diamond Head Crater Festivals...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  05:14:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all... Anyone out there remember the Diamond Head Crater Festivals on Oahu in the early 70's?...anyone know the history of the festivals...Can you still get T-shirts of them? Just an old curious hippie....Ken!

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  7:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Yes!! I don't know too much about the history of the Crater Festivals, but I sure remember going. It was close enough for us to walk, with our very liberal mom, from our house. If I recall, Santana was there on one of our trips. But, the part I'll never forget was the HUGE waft of pakalolo coming out of the tunnel as you entered. I remember hippies in the mud puddles too. What a time that was!

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  04:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Ya Mon!...Glad to hear someone else also went to the crater festivals! Is no one our age in this forum? 40's,50's?..Those were GREAT shows...I was at the Santana show too! I thought this question would be swamped with memories and replies!...Wish I could get some T-shirts or posters from those gigs! as far as the PAKALOLO!..Boy do I Remember! But that's for another forum!Later Bro!...Ken.
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  9:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the Crater Festivals were a great way to start the New Year seeing everyone you ever knew there. I remember the tunnel was also filled with the song "Here Comes the Sun"....awesome entrance to a fantastic happening. Ahhh, the memories. Thanks for bringing it up!
Aloha, >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  10:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Check eBay...you'd be amazed at what shows up there in terms of concert shirts and related items. (I haven't searched for the Crater Festival specifically, but I have seen shirts for the Slack Key Festivals show up.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  12:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all...I did go on line and typed in Diamond head crater festivals in yahoo, and had some fun reading about them..couldn't find any t-shirts or posters though, They did mention there is a film called "Crater Festival" 1972,by Tip Davis. That is one documentary I'd like to see!...anyone seen it?....Ken.
Go to Top of Page

Backstage Pass
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  02:14:53 AM  Show Profile
This goes out to all those people that were able to experience the once in a lifetime event!
I was there for the first and second Diamond Head Crater Festival and saw Santana and heard lots of great music from all the bands.
There was someone saying Hendrix was there.
But what I remember the most was the smell. The smell of leather... the smell of hemp and the wet grassy smell.
Those were the days when things were relaxed and loose. I guess that's why they still say "Hang Loose" here.
To those that are interested, I still have a couple of tickets with the stubs still attached and I also have a t-shirt with the picture of a girl laying in water in the shape of the Hawaiian Islands.
I would really like to get some recordings of the bands that played.
Anyone have something on that?
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Tip Davis did a documentary?? Anybody know what happened to him? He had a small film studio in Manoa, sold to KGMB TV and turned into Hawaii Production Center, and when they moved out it turned into a Goodwill store. Tip had glued carpet to the walls to help with the acoustics. Made the Goodwill store look like the inside of a custom van.

Seriously, I have been looking off and on for some kind of media recordings of the Crater Celebrations. I know Jim Linkner of Blind Man Sound or Bob Cozair of Concert One Stop may have made tapes. Does ANYBODY know of any recordings? I seem to remember something by "Cosmic Messenger" but have never found it.

I remember helping some friends set up a booth in the dark, way before sunrise. The audio crew were doing sound checks on the main stage, and out of nowhere comes blasting a Baroque brass fanfare. There were like 3 stages, the main headliner stage, a couple of smaller ones and some performances that seemed to kind of happen in the middle of the crowd. There was a folk ensemble from New Guinea that started up in the middle of a Quicksilver set.

Back then BIG PA systems were still kind of new. I seem to remember Bob Coziar with a stack of big ugly Vega "Blinker" power amps stuffed into an upright refridgerator or freezer to keep them cool. They had some old multicellular Altec Civil Defense voice warning horns blasting out some real gnarly midrange. They were trying hard but the sound was barely passable. The Crater is big. If you were way back from the stage you could hear the wind smearing the sound. Classic Woodstock ambience, burning weeds, buzzing cables, medivac choppers.

What a blast that was!

-jimmy
Go to Top of Page

kamalu70
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2004 :  3:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Send kamalu70 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all...I was at everyone of those Diamond Head Crater Festivals, including the first one which was quite a small gathering. Saw Santana perform a bunch of times there, also Buddy Miles, Boz Skaggs, etc. I worked food boths and did security, but mostly was there, like everyone else, to get high and enjoy the music. No wonder all of those festivals seem to melt into one in my mind. I saw some of Tip Davis' footage from the crater on this PBS retrospective about filmaking in HI a couple of years ago...really brought on some flashbacks. And don't forget there was also slack key in the crater....I remember Peter Medeiros (a poster on this website) playing one of the acoustic stages one year.
Go to Top of Page

hawnboy
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  5:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Forgot which DH festival it was but Fleetwood Mac was one of the headliners! My head was in a haze but it was probably around '75. Was expecting a great blues-rock show w/Black Magic Woman yes, the great Peter Green tune also done by FM although Santana did a terrific version.

Imagine my surprise when this new unknown guitar player and his girlfriend were playing in the band performing these lightweight pop songs! Told my friend "These guys will never make it."
And the rest is history.... Shows you what I know. Thanks for the memories.
-rich
Go to Top of Page

translateslowly
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  5:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Howdy all

I just found this forum after doing a search for Crater festival on google. I use to work the festivals years ago. I had t-shirts and posters from all the festivals I attended but they are long gone now.
In yahoo group I'm on for a really great band called the Gourds I had mentioned that I use to live in Hi. back in the 70's and someone emailed saying they too lived there and still have family there witch is what made me do this search in the first place. The memories of that place give me a really good feeling! I miss the festivals the most.
Can anyone tell me when they stopped? Is there a data base anywhere that shows the years and who all played?

Kyle

Go to Top of Page

naturallei
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  09:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I made it to every Crater Festival there was. My brother's were part of the laid back security staff. My dad was the photographer for Sunbums.The Hawaiian style Rolling Stone. I have some fabulous stories to share about those concerts. Not only Santana played but oh so many other great bands. Jimi Hendrix was not one of them. He played at the Blaisdale and that was an awesome sight to see. Janis played the Blaisdale too.

Naturallei
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile
Natural et al.,

I'll jump in on this breeze from better days.

Also went to a couple or three of the festivals, but have only a hazy recollection of the festivities. Must have been from overuse of Visine, or sumptin...

Caught 'em, as well. IIRC, back then it was the HIC. Cream and its later iterations played there, too. I seem to recall that Jimi's last blast in Honolulu was at the Shell, tho, after which he went to Maui, went home, and then checked out... :-( May have things way skewed, tho; the past, especially that past, has become much too compressed, distended and recombinated.

-d
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000