Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Dorian Michael "
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  5:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote

From website http://www.kenny-dorian.com/dorianmichael/books.html
quote:
Learn how to arrange in alternate tunings, choose an appropriate tuning for a song, develop an arrangement and solve problems that arise as you turn a melody into a guitar piece you can play and enjoy. Intermediate level. Songs include "Shenandoah", "Banks of the Ohio", "Bonaparte's Retreat", "Southwind", "Spanish is a Loving Tongue", etc. Six different tunings explored in the course of the book. The book comes with a cd which includes all examples and songs. It is available for $18.00 (10% off list price) plus $1.50 s&h via credit card by clicking on the PayPal button.

I enthusiastically recommend this book to us slack key players who are working coming up with our own arrangements. Dorian chooses songs that you already know and walks you through his development of different arrangements. He addresses issues like "what tuning should i use and why?" and "how can i make this sound more interesting?" (modulation, walking bass lines, and so on). i find that the book requires a lot of patience on the reader's part - the information is dense, at least for me - but the potential reward is great.

aloha,
keith

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  7:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks good Keith...thanks for the tip.

Note that the link Keith gave only takes PayPal. You can also order the book using a credit card through Overstock.com for about $1 less.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/21/2004 7:30:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  12:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Keith and Craig - I ordered one.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  3:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just got my copy and while I'm looking forward to going through it I have to say that I had hoped for much more text along with the examples. Michael's approach seems to be to let the music do the talking, and most of the time he leaves the reader to examine the tablature for an arrangement to figure out the specifics of what he's done and why. I hope this approach pays off for me in the long run, because if it does I will hopefully be able to apply it to any arrangement. But for now it's a bit more "deep end" than I would prefer.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  07:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
craig,

the material on the included CD is helpful. but, you're right - michael does let the music do the talking. this is a book that requires you to start at the beginning and learn each tab.

with 15,000 spamails a day, is this the best way to reach you?

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  11:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Keith...my spam filter is pretty good so try emailing me first. If you don't hear back from me within 48 hours then post here!

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000