Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 John Keawe: Learn to Play Ki `ho alu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  6:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  05:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GET THIS ONE. Typical excellent John Keawe stuff - the video is very good and John is very relaxed; at times it's as if were in the room with you. Bruce told me that he shot the whole DVD in 2.5 hours. I guess I consider myself to be an intermediate player and I found this DVD to be right on for me. This would have saved me eons of time trying to learn Momma's Music Box from the recording. Only regret - John doesn't break down Mana `Olana, but there is a lot of video footage of him playing it, so it's almost as good if you have a good DVD player with a loop capability. I hope he sells a ton of these and I hope we can get Bruce and John to do more of these. For a rabid John Keawe fan like me, this is the next best thing to sitting in his carport.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  7:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with chunky monkey! It is another great slack key instructional dvd from Lamb Productions. Keep 'em coming! I am especially fond of John's style of slack key playing and was just so thrilled that he made this. My favorite tune was "Auhele." It is a beautiful mele done in D tuning, which is very rich and so different from Taropatch. All I can say is, "WOW!" I had fun learning it and playing it. This is a great instructional dvd for intermediate players.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  11:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received John Keawe's DVD 3 days ago and it's working out very well. Everything is presented clearly and simply. After a short amount of time, I have an idea of how the Taropatch songs are arranged in my mind, now it's just a matter of practicing those movements and getting clear bar chords (one of my weaknesses).

I've been focusing on Taropatch to keep things simple, but I have one song in Open D, so I am pleased to have more to learn in that tuning. I just went over the Open D songs and I won't have any trouble with them. It is good to learn a few names of chords in that tuning.

I like the way John outlines the songs, this helps the learning process for me. I'm embarrassed to admit I have some tab songs I've been working on for close to a year--it's hard to get things to flow while learning from tab.

I'm guessing the last song on the DVD is in Taropatch? After I'm able to play the songs John has broken down, I'll move on to trying to learn that one from watching and listening.

Great DVD and I highly recommend it.

Nahenahe

Edited by - jmk on 05/01/2005 2:39:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  4:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An excellent DVD - John's awesome - but it's not for beginners...
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  05:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jmk,

Mana`Olana is in Taropatch. Give it a try - it's pretty straightforward. It works best if you have a DVD player with a looping function. I set the loop to repeat sections where I was struggling with the chords that he was playing. There are basically only a couple of sections. The repeat with some variations - this is what John does very well - playing the same basic melody with interesting changes. This is a wonderful tune with classic John Keawe licks. I am a big JK fan and these simple sounds absolutely give me chickenskin. This DVD is the best slack-key instruction $ I've ever spent in terms of return on my investment of time.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  08:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Could someone post the tunings of each song so I can update my song database at http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tarosongs.htm

Mahalo.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taro Patch in G: (DGDGBD)
1. Mama's Music Box
2. Miles From Home

Dropped D: (DADF#AC#)
3. Auhele (DADF#AC#)
4. Auntie's Rose Garden

Not sure about Mana 'olana (I'll have to check the DVD at home)
5. Mana `olana

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, John's versions of Auntie's Rose Garden and Auhele are in Open D (DADF#AD) not drop D. I play both of these. Mana`olana is in Taro Patch.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  09:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry is correct, my bad

DADF#AD is Open D (also called Open E and Vastapol)

On Mana 'olana, John never comes right out and says what tuning he is using, but trying it out, it the only tuning that doesn't hurt my ears.

Excellent DVD by the way. Joh breaks the songs down in chunks that are easy to digest and remember.

Wish he had added Keiki Slack Key

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  08:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

DADF#AD is Open D (also called Open E...

Except Open E is one step up of course: EBEG#BE

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/11/2005 08:27:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or with a capo on fret 2

Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI....I sent an email to John letting him know that we here at the 'patch really appreciate this DVD. He said he plans on releasing another one next year.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rob -
Are you going to see him when he's here next month?
n
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  04:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nancy...didn't know he was going to be here. I'll search for the info to see if he's coming to silicon valley...thanks for the heads up..

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  11:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob:

If John is playing in your area, you MUST go see him! He's a great musician and heck of a nice guy. If Hope comes with him, she's a beautiful dancer and a sweetheart too.

M
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000