Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 MY SLACK KEY MATERIAL - NEED MORE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a list of Slack Key material I have acquired over the last few months since playing Slack Key:

1) Keola Beamer Teaches Slack Key Guitar (Fingerstyle Arrangements and Techniques) by Keola Beamer

2) Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar by Keola Beamer and Mark Nelson

3) Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar by Mark Nelson

4) Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style by Ozzie Kotani

5) The Art of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar (DVD) with Tablature by Keola Beamer

6) Secrets of Contemporary Slack Key Guitar by Daniel Ho and Steve Sano

7) Keola Beamer’s First Method for Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar by Keola Beamer

8) Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar (1977) by Keola Beamer

9) Leonard Kwan Slack Key Instruction Book by Leonard Kwan and Dennis Ladd

10) Punahele (tablature), Ray Kane’s rendition, transcribed by Stropes.com

11) Moe ‘Uhane (Dream Slack Key) (tablature), Sonny Chillingworth’s rendition, transcribed by Stropes.com

12) Moe ‘Uhane (Dream Slack Key) (tablature), Sonny Chillingworth’s rendition transcribed by String Letter Publishing

13) Whee Ha Swing (tablature), Ledward Kaapana’s rendition, transcribed by String Letter Publishing

14) Kahuku (tablature) by Patrick Landenza from Acousticguitar.com

15) A Grandmother’s Wish (tablature) by Keola Beamer from Acousticguitar.com

16) Wa’apa (tablature) by Keola Beamer from Acousticguitar.com

17) Advanced Workbook for the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar by Mika’ele Mclellan

If anyone can help me find Keola Beamer’s Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar – Five Easy Pieces, Hapa – A Collection of Songs From Their Debut Album, and anything else I’m missing, please contact me at jgmontilla @ aol.com. If you have any questions on the above books, tablatures and DVD, please feel free to email me.

Edited by - Papamonty on 08/02/2005 12:43:37 PM

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a real good start :-) But get Mark Hanson's book and get as much as you can of Ron Loo's. Ron is really different than anything you have, and you can learn a whole bunch of different approaches from his stuff. I know that his material is considered "expensive", but, it is both worth every penny, and since you have already spent a lot, it will be a amall percentage of what you have already spent. I am continually mystified by the reluctance to pay a few more $$ for really valuable stuff - but what do I know?

Reri Tava's old transcription of Uncle Ray has been very valuable after retabbing, and some intense analysis and thought. The collection of intros and vamps is worth the whole thing.

Don't get your shorts in a knot about Hapa's stuff. We have it and, although we'll keep it, it does nothing for our understanding of the style, or where it is going, or where it has been. Nice crossover attempt though.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  12:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reid,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. While I am not Hawaiian by birth, I believe I am in spirit. I do want to pass on Slack Key to my son (when he is old enough) and so on. I think Slack Key embodies aloha. Whenever I hear Slack Key music, I just wanna go back to Hawaii. While the Slack Key material is at times expensive, it is worth it, and I believe I am contributing to a good cause. So I will look for Ron Loo's material and Reri Tava. By the way, when you say Mark Hanson's book, I have the "Masters" already. Is there another of Mark's that I am missing? Thanks a bunch. =)

Jon M.

quote:
Originally posted by Reid

You have a real good start :-) But get Mark Hanson's book and get as much as you can of Ron Loo's. Ron is really different than anything you have, and you can learn a whole bunch of different approaches from his stuff. I know that his material is considered "expensive", but, it is both worth every penny, and since you have already spent a lot, it will be a amall percentage of what you have already spent. I am continually mystified by the reluctance to pay a few more $$ for really valuable stuff - but what do I know?

Reri Tava's old transcription of Uncle Ray has been very valuable after retabbing, and some intense analysis and thought. The collection of intros and vamps is worth the whole thing.

Don't get your shorts in a knot about Hapa's stuff. We have it and, although we'll keep it, it does nothing for our understanding of the style, or where it is going, or where it has been. Nice crossover attempt though.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  1:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho! Too funny. I keep giving Mark Nelson crap about there being a Northwest cabal of Scandahoovian guitar player/writer/entrepreneurs, all named Mark.

So I did a "Find", with Firefox, for Hanson, on your long list and came up blank. Mark N really admires Mark H, as do we all, but they ain't the same person.

Anyway, you have the book by Mark H and that is good. Now, concentrate on Ron L.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 08/02/2005 1:39:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  02:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Reid! =)

Jon M.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  04:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A must is John Keawe's instructional DVD. Also Keoki Kahumoku's instructional DVD which I continually use a as a reference. Both are available from Bruce Lamb's website. You can also get the DVD directly from John.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  09:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And how about "Slack Tracks" which has 12 songs with Tabs plus a play along backing track for each song. Really makes it easy to learn a song and to have your own kanikapila.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  05:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops. Forgot about Slack Tracks. Contact Don Narup or me for information about Slack Tracks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000