Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Ron Loo: Slack Key Notebook Number 1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  11:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  12:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding all three of Ron Loo's books:

these books are a great introduction to slack key. They contain his arrangements of some very traditional mele, as well as a few of his own and other's compositions, all in a traditional style. Auntie Alice Namakelua was one of his teachers. I would recommend them to anyone interested in traditional slack key.

Ron presents, in the course of the arrangements, many fundamental building blocks of the slack key sound (such as vamp variations). I felt l learned much "vocabulary" and familiarity with traditional structure, from studying his arrangements as a group.

His books also happen to be great for someone who (like me) had never played guitar before. On the tapes that accompany the tabs, he patiently takes you measure-by-measure through the songs, and at the end he plays the whole piece as it should sound.

The three books were intended, I think, to be graduated in difficulty, but as a rank beginner, I found that not to be true. I found various pieces in each of the three books that were easier for me, and also in each book, ones that stumped me for a long time — not because I couldn't comprehend the tabs, but because they demanded more strength and flexibility in my fretting hand than I had acquired. Therefore I think that for an already accomplished player, the attraction of Ron's arrangements would be to expand acquaintance with and understanding of the scope of traditional slack key.

By the way, should one be interested in singing the Hawaiian songs, Ron does include, in the tab, a verse or two of lyrics for a few of them. He does not demonstrate, however, the singing of the songs, so one needs to learn that from another source.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  7:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Each of Ron's "notebooks" comes with a spiral bound notebook and a set of CDs that teach seven songs (all the songs are old style). There are three notebooks in all, varying in difficulty from easy for the first to medium/hard for the third.

Ron is very patient (overly so sometimes!) and takes 20-40 minutes to go through each song. He breaks each song into sections and then goes through each section measure by measure, spending extra time on measures he thinks may trip you up. (Note: In subsequent volumes he spends much less time holding your hand and devotes most of the time to playing and practicing.) The spiral bound notebooks contains complete tab for each of the songs, along with general information on Ki Ho`alu and tablature.

There is only one downside to these notebooks as I see it. In Vol. 1 Ron does not play through the songs from start to finish so you know what the song sounds like. He does play through each section from start to finish after he's taught it, but if you're like me you want to get the complete song in your head before you start learning it.

In any case, even with these minor annoyance the notebooks are fabulous, and the closest you can come to having a slack key master in your home teaching you a rich reportoire of songs.

Each notebook is around $25 with shipping (not bad if you consider you're getting over 3.5 hours of instruction).

For Vol. 1, the songs are essentially presented in order of complexity. Song lengths, as Ron plays them, are as follows:

Waikapu: 1:15
Lili`u E: 1:41
Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua: 1:44
Kealoha: 2:18
Ka Manu: 1:35
Salomila: 1:55
Old-Timer's Hula: 1:33

All the songs except for Kealoha and Old-Timer's Hula have a vocal accompaniment, which Ron demonstrates (he has a beautiful nahenahe voice). Partial lyrics are included with the tab, along with a reference to the publication where full lyrics can be found.

For more details, and to order, visit http://www.ronloo.com

Edited by - cpatch on 11/08/2006 11:46:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  9:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Craig
I want to order Ron Loo's books but got a wrong number when calling the number in your last post. Has there been a change? Where might I find another phone number? Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  10:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is from Ron's website:

quote:
For price quotes on all other services: (Studio Musician, Personal Performance, Concerts,Workshops/Seminars), write to the below address or email to ronloo @ hotmail.com

To order: Send certified check or money order to :

PILA NAHENAHE
P.O. Box 5126
Kaneohe, HI. 96744
Attn: Purchasing Dept.

The phone number is 1-808-239-4281. I know the email is good as I've traded emails with Ron's wife, Denise, before. Good luck!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  7:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I spoke with Ron's wife, Denise, today and she said that for Slack Key Notebook orders you should contact Harry's Music at (808) 735-2866...ask for Alan.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how much it costs to ship the book and casettes to the mainland?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  6:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on how its packaged, under $5.00 per volume.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  7:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Harry's charges either $4 or $5 per volume.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  07:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ron's Instructional Books 1, 2, and 3 are now all available with CD's instead of cassettes. Putting them all on CD has caused the price to be cut practically in half. They are available for online purchase or usps mail order at www.ronloo.com.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Thanks for the heads-up, Andy.

Everyone should have these (even pros like Kevin were impressed by them), but especially beginners and intermediate players.

We will get another whole set just to have the CDs instead of the tapes.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  12:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Highly recommended!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  11:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, I got an email from Denise Loo saying that the new book/CD will be sold through orders at their website and usps mail only. So Harry's and others may not be carrying the new ones.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  06:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Ron Loo Music now has a slick webpage that lets you purchase the excellent Kī Hō'alu instruction books with CDs, as well as some fine Kī Hō'alu music CDs easily with PayPal. The website is: http://ronloomusic.com/index.html

Their contact information is as follows:

Denise Loo
P.O. Box 5126
Honolulu, HI. 96744
(808) 239-4281 - Home
(808) 699-0714 - cell

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Haolenuke

Ron Loo Music now has a slick webpage that lets you purchase the excellent Kī Hō'alu instruction books with CDs, as well as some fine Kī Hō'alu music CDs easily with PayPal. The website is: http://ronloomusic.com/index.html

It can also still be accessed at http://www.ronloo.com (which will simply take you to the page Haolenuke mentions).

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 02/05/2010 10:31:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Puluke
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  04:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha
I was wondering how these books compare in difficulty to Ozzie Kotani's book. I'm about half-way through Ozzie's, somewhat proficient on everything up to Maunaloa and working on Manamana Lele; definitely enjoying and learning from it, just thinking some extra variety would be fun.

-Bruce

- Bruce
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000