Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Mark Nelson: Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just a first impression, as we just got it.

First, Mark is a damned good writer of English as well as a damned good writer of music. Whatever he writes, even a copyright notice, is clear and clever - and fun.

Second, Sarah and I already know many of the songs in the book and have our own arrangements. But that is *not* a drawback. I can tell immediately by reading them that they have plenty of good musical ideas to steal. For instance, I really know Ozzie's versions of Kimo Slack Key and Papakolea and Ron Loo's version of Kealoha. And I throw my own little things in them too. So, I can compare right off the top of my head. Mark's version of, say, the break in Kimo SK that Ozzie taught at AMC 2001 (slide from 7-8 to 8-9 and Nine-nine, Nine-nine, some of you will remember), Mark fills out with additional notes that make sense and make it sound fuller. Very neat. The same is true of the others.

Also, there is plenty in Open D, and with our current obsession with D Wahine, there are lots of ideas of how to use both. I am actually a cottage industry in transcribing songs into different tunings - I even transcribed Ku‘u Lei Awapuhi Melemele in F-Wahine into Taropatch - and Mark has a version of that which I can mess with. So, Open D to D Wahine is a piece of cake, even if not note for note.

Remember, this is a first look. And, I am again surprised to be the first reviewer. Wassup with that?

...Reid

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

And, I am again surprised to be the first reviewer. Wassup with that?

Well, if you had searched the archives first you would have come across this:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4711

Granted, it's in the wrong section, but still.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig, I plead senility, and the influence of some very interesting drugs. I also plead guilty to following the structural rules of this site :-) But, thanks.

And, maybe we can get Andy to transfer that thread to here, after he gets done coping with the world's latest stock market plunge. Is The End nigh?

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 02/27/2007 11:52:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, this is just the beginning!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A 3.3% drop? Big deal. Doesn't hold a candle to Black Monday (22.6% on 10/18/87 for those of you too young to remember).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  12:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a joke for Andy, because he has to work it with his clients. And, I do remember Black Monday and made a good buck (for a small-timer) off of it, too.

Back to Mark's book...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  04:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have had this book and CD now about two weeks and I just started into it last week. I chose Old Timer's Hula Medley because I liked the odd timing. Since starting on it I have learned some very cool new licks. These "Old Time" arrangements will help me grow as a player and I am glad that I decided to get it.

The guitars used in the recordings evoke such a classic old time sound and feeling. Did you intentionally try to create that sound Mark?

I may have been too hung up on learning new style arrangements.
My new philosophy: Progress is not always going forward. It can also mean going backwards.
Or, how about just...Progress is going backwards.

Great work Mark.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  11:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's an update:

Thanks to the miracles of on-demand printing, you can now order a printed version of the "Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" book, complete with snazzy full color front and back covers!

Due to my higher costs of production, the printed version goes for $19.95.

http://www.customflix.com/3324003

Small print disclaimer: If you bought the e-book from me already; I'm afraid I have no way to let you "trade up" to the printed version.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  04:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Mark. The printed version sounds like a good option, but I’ll stick with my e-book. Wish all my song books came that way. I printed mine up and put in a binder. Now I can take out one song at a time to work on.

And a page can be reprinted in case it gets marked up with too many notes or –uh, hypothetically— in case a person were to get so frustrated with a passage that he ripped the page out and crumpled it up on the floor.

I do like the hula-dog picture and will see if I can print this out in color as a cover for my binder.

Thanks again for making these favorite tunes accessible to those of us who need a little tab help.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  07:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike -

I'm hip; I much prefer to be able to print out songs I'm working on and mark them up. Or crumple the paper and toss it across the room -- so much better than tossing the guitar!

I'll keep offering the PDF version.

quote:
I do like the hula-dog picture and will see if I can print this out in color as a cover for my binder.

I love that painting. I got it from a "clip art" CD and I have no idea who did it. I have seen bits of it used on some other publications in Hawaii.

If you can't get a decent print out, write me and I'll send ya a hi rez version.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

gcolebeck
Aloha

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  05:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I've just downloaded the PDF today here in England - after your fabulous uke fingerstyle book got me into slack key!!

Keep the tabs coming - you have no idea how hard it is to find actual slack key books here in the UK!

Graha,
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  2:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i jus wen download da pdf da odda day. Dis is exactly wat I was looking fo! Similar style to Ozzie's book, but get mo songs. Remembah how people keep on asking fo wat fo study afta completing Ozzie's book? Hea's da answer! Definitely a must have fo all slackers! I'm looking forward to years of awesome tabs! Tanks again Mark! Awesome work! Any mo CD's coming out in da old style?????

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  5:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, I bought this CD and the book at AMC in June. I have been working on "Ahe Lau Makani-" your arrangement of the Queen's song is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for printing this tab book and giving us so many songs! This book is going to keep me busy for a very long time....Mahalo!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000