Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 REVIEW: HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR MASTERS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  07:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Ask yourself what you would expect of an album featuring every major name in slack key guitar music. Listen to "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters" and you'll experience a great answer to that question. I won't go into each track, particularly since these popular pieces have been released on other albums. If, like me, you are new to slack key music and wish to learn more about it, this is a great place to start. What is most striking about this album, defining it's worth most clearly for me, is the variation in slack key musical styles that is inherent in the many works contained on it. You can experience the dream-like elegance of Keola Beamer, the sound of the Spanish guitar, and various other works reflecting a substantial infusion of Hawaiian culture and impressive music making all in one album. Hopefully you won't have to limit yourself to acquiring one slack key album in your lifetime, but if you should do so in any single year, this would be a fine option.

Thank you.

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  11:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Very nice comments! I'll have to check it out.
Mahalo,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:20:53 PM  Show Profile
These are some of the first CDs we bought. Nothing is better in my opinion. Definitely the best of the best.

I love how Dennis & David do `Ulili E. Can anyone explain how to play that riff at the beginning? I take it that is Dennis on the guitar, yeah? I'm gonna make Paul learn how to do that on guitar. He does it on the dulcimer but not the intro part. I can sing a few of the verses, but my tongue gets all twisted because it goes so fast and my mouth is so slow. Also have trouble with the "ahahana `ulili ehehene `ulili ahahana" part. Help!

Also love Uncle Ray's "Popoki Slack Key". Well, actually, I love them all. Both CDs are fantastic. If you don't have them, you need them. click here

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000