Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Mika`ele McClellan: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - cpatch on 02/02/2003 02:40:08 AM

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  9:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sheez! playing 30 instruments!
I'd have trouble naming 30 instruments!

thanks for the review,
asaurus
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  01:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an excellent resource. That said, "crude format" is being nice. Some of it is just plain sloppy and hard to read. I ended up taking a few pieces and rewritting the TAB so I can read it. Nevertheless, in my opinion, this book is in the "must have" category for any serious slacker.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  10:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some snippets of an email Mika`ele sent me a little bit ago...

quote:
Tell anyone interested here in Southern California (San Fernando Valley) to call me. Work is (818) 756-9086 & home is (818) 999-3129. By day I work environmental enforcement for LA City and I teach and perform part-time. I've had some Hawaiian jams at my house--I make very little money with slack key & Hawaiian music, but it is my biggest love in music. I'm in touch with Dennis Ladd, who worked with Leonard Kwan on his book--the Ladds live in the LA area now.

Among the classes I teach is 'ukulele I & II at Piece College Community Ed. We usually have a good percentage of folks that want Hawaiian music, although there is a group that likes old Pop songs ranging from bad kitsch to classic Gershwin.

Aloha a hui hou,
Mika'ele McClellan

Go to Top of Page

jschjol
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  05:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if there is an email address Mika 'ele McClellan be reached at?
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  08:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. I called him and left a message (number above was good). Then he called me back and we chatted for over an hour -- a really interesting man. I sent him a check (smail mail) and he mailed me his workbook and some surprises. I am still looking through the volume of information and absorbing bits and pieces. He has a version of Maori Brown Eyes in the workbook that is in a very unusual tuning. It is a nice complement to Uncle Mahi's version of the same song that you can find on this site in three lessons.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I second the recommendation for the rendition of "Maori Brown Eyes" in this book (although there are some mistakes in the tab).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  09:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wass da level of da pieces in dis collection? I just starting out, working through Ozzie's book.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  1:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's all over the place, but if you can play the first few songs in Ozzie's book you should be able to play a lot of these pieces. (Bear in mind that there's no accompanying audio, so you're on your own to figure out what they should sound like.)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  04:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cpatch ...

so is da tab in dis book written witout da note values?

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  06:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No, the songs have both tab and traditional music staff. The main problem with the book (apart from not being able to hear the songs) has to do with print quality and consistency, as noted in the description above.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  3:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

As of March 2010, the Advanced Workbook for the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar is still available. The phone number and address listed above are still current. The price has ticked up a just bit to cover shipping, so call before sending a check. My copy arrived promptly with a few surprises. The print quality still doesn't support speed reading in a few spots, but the information can be made out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000