Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Slippahs are toxic - make bad dermatitis
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  12:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Please read the following on Snopes.com regarding slippahs made in China. Snopes says it is true. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/flipflop.asp

For what its worth....

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 01/21/2008 02:52:31 AM

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  8:17:55 PM  Show Profile
I believe dat. Sometime get junkalunka kine stuffs come out of china. Bettah stick wit da locals or surfah brand if you no like dat kine stuffs happen to you eh? poho bumbai.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  8:22:52 PM  Show Profile
I even wen' spok da toot'pas'e tube. No moa words dat tell "Made in USA", jus' one 800 #. Shoots.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  03:44:08 AM  Show Profile
Sad truth is that all plastics are toxic in varying degrees. Interesting article in Science News recently about what hard plastics do to pregnant rats- bottom line is you don't want to put anything hot in hard plastics and then consume it. Throw away those plastic travel cups- especially if you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant. And softeners used in soft plastics mimic estrogen and appear to have reduced sperm counts in men by half
and may cause breast cancer in women.

Watched a great show a couple nights ago with a segment on what all that plastic that gets into the ocean is doing to the albatrosses on Midway- they eat anything that floats, and feed it to their chicks, and the birds are dying because their stomach fills up with plastic and they have no room for food. Very, very sad. We do occasional beach cleanups in Waipi'o and on our property north of there and mountains of plastic wash up each year- most not from Hawai'i but too much comes from here for a people who are supposed to be concerned about the 'aina.

If I could cut plastic out of my life I would, but it is impossible to do so and live in our modern society. I just try to use less and make sure it winds up in the landfill if I can't recycle it. And I guess there are too many people in the world anyway so perhaps the effect it has on fertility is a good thing...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  07:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
After living on an island for 2 decades, I developed a habit of picking up trash (not just plastic stuff) because it ALL goes to the sea eventually. Wind, rain, and gravity all push trash to the water. As a skin diver and spear fisherman, I saw trash every time I got in no matter where I was. Thanks for the topic.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  07:27:29 AM  Show Profile
I can recall when toothpaste came in lead tubes. I think plastic, for all it's problems, may be a step forward. But maybe we haven't taken all the steps in the journey?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000