Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Myrna & Eddie Kamae's films
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  5:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grrrrrrrrrrreat news to report (Myrna gave me permission!) -- all of the Kamae's films will be released on DVD next year. Uiha!!!

Not familiar with their wonderful documentaries???
http://www.hawaiianlegacy.com/

Stay tuned!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  08:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That news made my day... many thanks!

Last summer I watched the Sam Li`a documentary -- in my tent in the Mendocino Woodlands during Lark Camp. Kevin Brown had a copy on loan from a library and his portable video player.

It was enthralling and I will be ordering it as soon as it is available.

Anyone who loves slack key and Hawaiian music ought to have this, and the Sons of Hawai`i documentary, in permanent rotation.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  6:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah! THE HAWAIIAN WAY: The Art and Tradition of Slack Key Music (1993) is one of the reasons I got interested in slack key. Maybe, no film... no Taropatch.net.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  7:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone who isn't already drooling is soo missing the boat! (OK so my slang dates me)
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news indeed! We've searched high and low for a couple we don't have, and even used ones are unavailable. Auntie, will you be carrying them?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

When we got the Earth, Words & Aloha, I had some mix-up with the order and got such a wonderful e-mail from Myrna. What a gracious lady indeed.

I cannot wait to see the other films we do not have. They are very well made and so full of information, providing a wonderful education for we who are so far from Hawai`i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  3:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda, the DVDs will be released worldwide -- but ordering directly from the Kamae's puts a larger share of the profits where they belong, in their wonderful foundation!

So all you taropatchers, please bookmark their website now -- I'll let you know when to go there to order, 'kay?
http://www.hawaiianlegacy.com/

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  1:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything further about releasing the films on DVD? I find nothing more about it on the Hawaiian Legacy web site.

My opinion, for what it is worth (not much), is that anyone who cares anything about Hawai`i should see these films. There is so much history and so much to learn.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  09:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was lucky enough to see and chat with Eddie Kamae while I was waiting outside a restaurant to meet up with a friend for lunch in Honolulu the other day.
We talked about his films and he said they are making progress on the DVD conversions.
He asked which ones I'd seen....I replied all of them, then he talked more about the importance of saving and sharing these stories.
Like you said Wanda...so much to learn from these films....a must see.
They have been lucky to get quite a few kapuna on film before they have passed on.

Don't have any specific release dates to report, just that the conversion process is still in the works.
Aloha, >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  05:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news -- "Keepers of the Flame" has just been released on DVD:
http://www.mele.com/video/artist/various+artists/+keepers+of+the+flame+-+dvd+(5-26-2009)/

The Cultural Legacy of Three Hawaiian Women
A documentary by Eddie and Myrna Kamae

KEEPERS OF THE FLAME is the story of three extraordinary Hawaiian women who helped revive Hawaiian culture when it was perilously close to being lost. It was a time when the monarchy had been overthrown, the Hawaiian language banned from public places and schools, and the Hawaiian heartbeat of hula forced underground.

The lives of Mary Kawena Pukui, `Iolani Luahine and Edith Kanaka`ole are described through heartfelt interviews with people who knew and were influenced by them, along with wonderful archival footage.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  08:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeeeehaaaa!!!! We've been waiting for this news. The link isn't working,but the site is up. Just go to http://www.mele.com and look under the New Releases. It's right on the top row. Auntie, I think this was my first Mele order since you retired. (Wanda sent our last couple in.) Thanks for posting the news.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000