Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Andy (admin) performing 'Ulupalakua on YouTube
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  8:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's video evidence that our esteemed admin Andy can, in fact, play slack key and sing (both very nicely):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-fBhG1_xU

This was recorded on my iPhone earlier this evening at the Hukilau restaurant in Fallbrook, CA...right after Jeff Peterson performed an incredible 90 minute solo set. (In fact, Andy's playing Jeff's guitar in the clip.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  9:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that, Craig. Andy did an awesome job with that and Molokai. When the audience was asked "How many here are from the Taro Patch", much more than half the hands went up! Thanks to Andy for providing this social connection that brings us together in force. Andy almost had me coaxed to perform after Bill - but I was saved by the closing of the venue! Ric

P.S. I have a lot of photos from this concert to edit for posting later in the week. Taropatch members abound.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  10:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha all,

Technology scares me. How totally "internet age" to play and then be online practically immediately. C'mon Craig, as if playing after Jeff was not frightening enough!?!?

BTW, Jeff rocked the place with his chops, diverse songs and amazing touch. Congrats to Reba and Jim, the proprietors, on such a great new venue. And a BIG mahalo to Jeff for an awesome performance, encouraging us and allowing us to play his guitar.

It was a pleasure to see the many taropatchers tonight. Without you, there would be no community here. Heck, without you, I wouldn't know about these shows. To see and meet you face to face is a real gift. To share music together is even better! It was well worth the 2+ hour drive. Jeff's CD, Maui On My Mind, helped make the drive go by faster. Hope to see all of you again soon.

Mika'ele - I want to hear you play next time! Craig, Jerry, Diana and others... you too!

Can't wait to see the photos.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  12:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job, Andy! And I thought your Aloha wear was cute.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Volcano
Akahai

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  04:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting. Really, really beautiful!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  08:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a very special moment. A real treat to actually meet many of the people I have only "conversed" with on this web site. It is easy to see and hear why we drive out of our way to watch and hear Jeff play.

Andy,
Bill, Dusty, and I will be playing tonight at our weekly Slack Key Open Mike. We are each different and I am humbled each week by Bill and Dusty (also Terry who is out of town this week on sad but important family tasks). We always, however, give our "stage time" to our out-of-town friends that come to join us -- an open invitation to any "taropatcher" that would like to play slack key for us.

As good as Andy's youTube video is (thank you Craig) it was much better in person! Not one single person wanted to follow Jeff -- Andy had the "New York Hutzpah" to do so.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  1:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For obvious reasons it would not be ideal to follow Peterson. Great job Andy!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  2:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,
I misspoke last night. Darin's cover that I play is Manoa Morning. I confused it with one of Jeff's songs that he taught us in a workshop last year, Manoa Rain and that I have also performed at SCSKS Open Mike. The songs are different, only "Manoa" is common. Please let Darin know that I really do like that CD and especially that song.
Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  07:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha From Paia, Maui! Wasssup everybody!

"Wow! Andy! I really enjoyed watching you perform on stage. When was this "Gig"?"

Reid, Sarah and the rest of my TPOhana, how have you guys been? It's great to see all of you are still doing what TP is all about! It's been a long time...a very very long time since I've visited all of you here. My favorite memory was all of us at "The Blue Marlin". Yup...that's how long ago. Sadly tho they shut-down..Open-mike Fridays was alot of fun not to mention the free kau kau you got after ones performance! Then Uncle "Boy Kanae" past away. He was the key to open-mike nights.

A lot has changed since then...now were into 2010! My my...how time flys. N e ways I'm just happy to be back here on "THE PATCH". I hope each and everyone of you and your Ohanas are doing well. Latest scoop...I'm now a Grandpa, and loving every moment of it with my Grand Daughter Mikaila. And who since I got her one ukulele, (small one from the SwapMeet) she always bring it to me to play for her. But she's starting to get it! I look forward to teaching her more as she gets older, and maybe some slack key! But we'll see...Take care all of you. Missed you guys!
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late post. All the photos were bright blue, from the
bright LED stage lights and the incandescent lights turned off,
before heavy editing to attempt to color correct them.

On Monday January 25, 2010, Grammy Award winning slack key guitarist
Jeff Peterson played an informal concert promoted by Jim and Reba
Marabotto. I attended with Karen B and Jon B of Quiet Voice Audio. The
Taro Patch made up the bulk of the attendance. Here's a photo of Jeff's
warm up. Taro Patch members Dusty on the left and Bill on the right seated
at the table:

Kay and Gerri from the Ukulele Society of America up front:

The performance starts. Taro Patchers, identify yourselves in these
following photos:

Karen B and Jon B of Quiet Voice Audio:

Karen B, Micfheal B and Jon B of Quiet Voice Audio:

Jeff Peterson, Ric Douglas and Michael B getting the 1st CD autographed:

Andy Wang (Admin):

Mitch Chang (tafcam1):

Reba's (the concert promoter) sister and brother in law in fron
Chicago:

Bill, from the Southern california Slack Key Society :

Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  9:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More from the Southern California Slack Key Society:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8585&whichpage=2

Go to Top of Page

tafkam1
Lokahi

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  05:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit tafkam1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
holy moly you sure took a lot of pics Ric! thanks for posting, too bad we didn't talk story more there

Mitch Chang
http://www.kalakoa.com/
http://www.ukulelewebsite.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000