Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 3

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  6:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are also at least one or two Bass Ukulele's out there. I don't know who makes 'em, or how low they are tuned, but that may be worth looking into. We saw a couple in a uke shop in Waikiki, and I think there are pix of Quinn Abrigo with one at a couple of kani's.
Unko Paul.

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  12:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A guitaron would be the answer. Those things are impressive. No need plug in.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  08:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
A guitaron would be the answer. Those things are impressive. No need plug in.

Yeah, but have you ever tried to play one? Huge strings with impossibly high action. The technique is to pull two strings strings "fretted" an octave apart straight up and let go, all the while keeping a death grip with your fretting hand. (On a short scale fretless instrument....)

Oh, and they are tuned funny, too. A-D-G-C-E -A. And yes, the 1st string is an octave lower than you'd expect.

But, as you say, they are impressive.
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  12:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One of my basses is a 5-string Breedlove acoustic-electric. It has a built-in eq/tuner and I love the sound. The action on the neck makes it feel like I'm playing an electric...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  3:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just finished 12 new Kona Walkingbasses... should anyone be interested in such things...
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  07:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Konabob

I just finished 12 new Kona Walkingbasses... should anyone be interested in such things...
Aloha,
-Konabob

Eh, Bob! just sent you an e-mail offline with a request or two.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  11:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

There are also at least one or two Bass Ukulele's out there. I don't know who makes 'em, or how low they are tuned, but that may be worth looking into. We saw a couple in a uke shop in Waikiki, and I think there are pix of Quinn Abrigo with one at a couple of kani's.
Unko Paul.

I had a chance to play one of the Kala U-Bass bass `ukulele at a gig last night. I like the sound, I like the portability, I'm not so sure about the feel of the strings. I'm very tempted to get one, though I'd really like to try out the fretless version before I plunk down $500.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2010 :  08:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Gregg (or is that Mister Retro?)

quote:
I had a chance to play one of the Kala U-Bass bass `ukulele at a gig last night. I like the sound, I like the portability, I'm not so sure about the feel of the strings. I'm very tempted to get one, though I'd really like to try out the fretless version before I plunk down $500.

Couple of thoughts on the ukulele basses I've played.

The fretless versions have one obvious advantage, which is that you can compensate for the (usually) funky intonation of many of the fretted ones. Not all are bad, but enough are to make me wary.

Not sure what the repeated fret wear might do to those strings, either.

However, playing a fretless instrument with such a short scale means you really have to pay attention. Trust me on that.

Second, if you do get one, check out the Road Toad strings. Much mo' bettah that the silicon variety.

And, lastly---you can pick up a Fender/DeArmond Asbury bass on ebay for quite a bit less. Same size -- or, actually -- smaller than a uke bass. Great active pickups, fretless, improved tuners over my 1st generation Guild. HUGE tone.

Cute buggers, too.
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  2:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was surfing "You Tube" I ran across a bass ukulele made by Beaver Creek in Canada. This bass like the Kala U-Bass uses a baritone ukulele body with 22 inch scale. Also under saddle pick up and electric controls on side. This bass is fretted and uses steel strings (as oppose to silicon strings on the Asbury or polyurethane strings on the Kala U-bass). Cut-away body also appears thinner than the Kala U-Bass. The claim made in advertising is that the Kala U-bass has a sound between a stand up bass and an electric bass. Not sure what sound the steel strings in the Beaver Creek uke bass would be compared to.

I picked up a to a Kala U-bass. I bought a fretted model and because of my small hands and short arm length appreciate its size when compared to a standard electric bass -- less bulk. Since I never really played a regular electric bass, the large diameter of the strings doesn't bother me. Am enjoying learning to play this.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  5:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

And, lastly---you can pick up a Fender/DeArmond Asbury bass on ebay for quite a bit less. Same size -- or, actually -- smaller than a uke bass. Great active pickups, fretless, improved tuners over my 1st generation Guild. HUGE tone.

Cute buggers, too.

Didn't you (or someone we were hanging out with) have one of these at Folklife two years ago? I recall getting to play with it very briefly.

(Speaking of Folklife ... we may still be in town after all; no granddaughter yet...)
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  08:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

Cute buggers, too.

Didn't you (or someone we were hanging out with) have one of these at Folklife two years ago? I recall getting to play with it very briefly.

(Speaking of Folklife ... we may still be in town after all; no granddaughter yet...)

Eh, Retro, if you and Momi have to go back to Ioway, I could fill in on bass for you with Gloria and dem, yeah?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  08:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Eh, Retro, if you and Momi have to go back to Ioway, I could fill in on bass for you with Gloria and dem, yeah?

Sweet; I'll drop you an e-mail with the show lineup, and I'll let her know you're available, just in case. At this point, if no mo`opuna appearance before, the doctor plans to induce Friday morning, and we'll take off Monday.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, that was my little blue Guild. Last year I brought the Fender... and then got busted for busking with an electric instrument.

Which was funny, considering you could not hear it above the noise of the bagpipes and two drummers.

See ya at Folklife maybe. But I won't have a bass with me this time....
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  09:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

See ya at Folklife maybe.
If we are still here (which looks more likely with each passing day), no "maybe" about it. We'll be at your ki ho`alu set (Sunday at 5, Folklife Cafe, for those eavesdropping).
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  4:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

Unbeknownst to either of you guys, somebody else who shall remain nameless, and who thought for sure that you'd be away in Iowa during Folklife, asked me to fill in on bass with Bill and Gloria. Good thing I politely declined on making the long drive up there or else you or slipry1 and myself would've ended up in a diaper-wearing sumo wrestling match on stage for the right to play bass. Hold on to that visual.
Akshally --- I sorta did know, because he was tasked with trying to find someone else to play bass, since we all thought for sure I'd be away. I know of a couple other folks who couldn't do it, but I didn't know you were on that list as well.

Good thing he knew the right people to ask - if you had been there, I would have played `ukulele and been singing harmony instead, and you would have done a great job on bass (but I would have been wondering why you were on stage in a giant diaper...)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000