Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Touring Kaleponi with Mr. Kaapana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  05:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Norm, thanks so much for coming out last night, and for the KAPU push as well. You guys are part of the reason that Don Quixote's is such a welcoming venue for Hawaiian music.

I snagged the audio from the mixing desk and had a couple of cameras more or less in focus last night, so I hope I'll have a couple of clips to post when I get time to edit. And we can probably look forward to some of Norm's video as well.

I don't have much to add to Norm's description except maybe a detail or two on that audience `ukulele. "Mad Dog" is a member of the `Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz and has quite a collection of wildly various ukes. Last night he showed up with a carbon fiber creation by Blackbird, a composite instrument maker here in the SF Bay Area.

http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/pressreleases/blackbird_ukulele.html

This little instrument certainly impressed Ledward with it's startling power and easy playability.

Norm brought along a very very nice autoharp (it's a long story) with built-in pickup and tuner - technology marches on. If there was ever an instrument that _needs_ a built-in tuner, it is certainly the autoharp. This one worked like a charm and gave Led the opportunity to show what his mom taught him back in Kalapana, probably with a few extra tricks he's figured out over the years.

Tonight we're close to home, at the magnificent Freight & Salvage in Berkeley.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  09:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will certainly be posting some video of the fun we had. I forgot to mention that Led has a new CD that is available to concert goers on this tour. What a beautiful CD it is. I was listening to it all morning today as I drove around at work. It's called "Ledward Kaapana, The Legend-Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar". Aptly named CD for sure!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  10:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Norm, I'm so glad you enjoyed the show. We were so happy and honored to see such a great turnout on a weeknight. Thanks to you and KAPU, Felton is a great place to present Hawaiian music.

That was quite a nice autoharp you brought to the show and Ledward enjoyed Mad Dog's Blackbird carbon fiber uke a lot.

Fran (on the road)

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  11:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Freight & Salvage show was another fine turnout. Besides a very enthusiastic crowd Taj Mahal joined Ledward for a couple of tunes and Lynn and several of her hula sisters added their talents to show.

Fran (from the road)

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  5:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What fun it is to see Led do his thing. Here is some video of his concert on the 28th at Don Quixote's in Felton, CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHbGbmFbguU Borrowed 'ukulele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUA8tNzJ6Y0 Playing the autoharp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx56Tpk7Xz8 Led and Fran Guidry together.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  09:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The AMSD show last night was another one to remember. The sound was clear and clean, we had snacks in the green room, and the audience was so very warm and responsive.

I'm not sure if the audience inspired Ledward or he inspired them but the result was some of the most spectacular playing I've ever witnessed. I'm still smiling over the places Led went with his tribute to Uncle Ray, "Wai O Ke Aniani."

It was also great to talk to 'Patchers Bill Benzel and Chunky Monkey (Terry Beckhelm).

Fran (from the road)

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  04:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night's show in Dana Point was really OUTSTANDING!! Mahalo to you, Fran for the wonderful opening and for jamming with Led near the end.

Gerry and I and Dick and Linda had the best seats in the house, right in front of the stage. The sound was great. Led dedicated "Sweet Lei Poina `Ole" to me and Gerry in honor of our engagement (info for another topic). We are also going to the performance tonight in Mission Viejo.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  05:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking through my video of the concert at Don Quixote's just made me smile and laugh over and over again. What a delight it is to see Led. Just a great experience to see him live, every time we can. Here are a few more clips from that night. Come back soon Uncle Led. We love you in Santa Cruz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNAeI_U5Y1Y "Manuela Boy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnUSgLSVyY " Wai O Ke Aniani"

And for a "Hana Hou"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYoGe4vpSQA "I Kona"

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Norm, those videos are sweet! Thanks for shooting them and getting them up. I finally found a keyboard and can type a little easier, I love my iPhone but it's painful to type a paragraph or two.

Dusty, thanks so much for coming out with your buds. It's so great to see familiar faces in the audience.

Seeing the signatures on that Lord of the Strings banner was certainly intimidating, seems like every great fingerstyle guitarist I know is on that banner. And Ledward certainly demonstrated that he belongs in that category. I'm not sure how comfortable the "patio" chairs were, but the sound in that room was really sweet and warm - a tough trick in a smallish room with hard walls.

Playing a couple of tunes with Ledward at the end of the show is the cherry on top for me, he spent so many years playing "color" guitar behind other people that he comes up with some of the most amazing stuff when he's backing. I have a hard time paying attention to what I'm playing when he starts doing those spectacular runs and fills.

Thanks, Dusty, also for the hotel recommendation. It's a very comfortable place close to both shows and we're enjoying the chance to relax in one spot.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 10/04/2010 3:28:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  08:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kudos to Fran for his part in this pairing. Saw them at the AMSD show in San Diego. Fran has found his legs; lots of boffo banter about Slack Key, great playing, great jamming with led, and a genuine nice guy. Above all, Fran sincerely looks like he loves this stuff. As far as I'm concerned, Fran can open for me anytime.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  09:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chunky and I often open for each other ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Kudos to Fran for his part in this pairing. Saw them at the AMSD show in San Diego. Fran has found his legs; lots of boffo banter about Slack Key, great playing, great jamming with led, and a genuine nice guy. Above all, Fran sincerely looks like he loves this stuff. As far as I'm concerned, Fran can open for me anytime.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  8:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AH DUSTY!

Excuse me! My jaw just dropped! Ah, would you please, please let us know what is up with that!!!!! I mean your "engagement"!

Julie

PS Idon'thaveyourphonenumberorIwouldbeonthephonethisecond!

Edited by - Julie H on 10/02/2010 8:08:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

tafkam1
Lokahi

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  05:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit tafkam1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SEE YOU GUYS TONIGHT IN HERMOSA!!!

Mitch Chang
http://www.kalakoa.com/
http://www.ukulelewebsite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  1:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm "DA CLOSER" for Chunky and Dusty!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  4:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Home at last, to the scrumptious aroma of Lynn's pasta sauce and garlic bread. We stopped off to visit one of Led's fan's who is suffering from advanced ALS, the gentleman was determined to go to the show last night but the family persuaded him to stay home, because they had arranged a surprise visit today. Words cannot express.

The show in Mission Viejo was again part of the Lord of the Strings series, and the audience and sound were again warm and welcoming. We saw Dusty and Gerry in the front row so Ledward selected a nearly complete new selection of tunes from his repertoire, but he included a couple from the new CD and a couple of classics. He's been paying tribute to Uncle Don Ho with a broad "Tiny Bubbles" as part of his closing medley, I was surprised (as an ignorant snobbish haole) to learn that Ledward and many other Hawaiian musicians revere Uncle Don because he was so generous in supporting them.

I've been hoping an incipient cold would stay that way, but it busted out and took about half my energy, but it was still a blast to visit Hermosa Beach for the first time - party city, folks! Mitch Chang (tafkam1) obviously works hard to promote his many musical ventures and filled nearly every seat on the concert side of Sangria, and it was another very enthusiastic crowd as well. We were greeted by Ted, a Japanese speaking gentleman who hoped to hear "E Ku`u Sweet Lei Poina`ole" - which conveniently has been Ledward's opening song. Besides the Hawaiian music enthusiasts, the audience included Ledward's cousin and a gang of friends. It was great to see Nancy (Pua Kai) and her buds, I haven't seen her since that fine kanikapila she hosted last year.

The show rolled right along, it's so much fun to see Led do his thing one night after another. He really does make every song different every time, and with the span of his repertoire anything can happen. I noticed that when Ledward fired up the `ukulele he just nailed some of the younger members of the audience - I think they were part of the new wave of uke enthusiasts and really had their eyes opened.

Our drive home today included rain showers but no real problems, we made good time over the Grapevine, had a nice late lunch at Harris Ranch, and cruised home before dark.

Thanks so much to Mitch and all the 'Patchers who came out to the shows.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page