Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Article from MIDWEEK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

DHCdesigns
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  12:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit DHCdesigns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Way We See Our GRAMMY Win

http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/newsmaker_article/Hawaiian_Music_Album_GRAMMY_Awards/

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  1:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here is how Cyril Pahinui sees it from the opposite side:

http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/newsmaker_article/GRAMMY_Cyril_Pahinui/

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  2:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone speak to the accuracy of this from Cyril's rebuttal:

quote:
We have sold around 10,000 CDs to their less than 300. We, as artists, have created a Frankenstein . . .

Edited by - sm80808 on 03/01/2011 3:03:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  3:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, gosh. You mean to tell me that people actually disagree about creative and artistic expression? Tsk-tsk. Sure would be a better world if we all liked all the same exact things, don't you think?

This is officially a "dead horse" issue, UNLESS ...

Moving forward, will more qualified individuals join The Recording Academy and get involved in the process, as some of us have already done for many, many years? If they can but do not, then they have no room to express complaints about how an industry operates their own celebration of their peers.
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious, how much does it cost to join The Recording Academy (voters for Grammys) and the Hawaii Recording Academy (voters for Hokus)? Also, how many HARA members are there currently?

Aloha,
Doug
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  02:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Oh, gosh. You mean to tell me that people actually disagree about creative and artistic expression? Tsk-tsk. Sure would be a better world if we all liked all the same exact things, don't you think?

This is officially a "dead horse" issue, UNLESS ...

Moving forward, will more qualified individuals join The Recording Academy and get involved in the process, as some of us have already done for many, many years? If they can but do not, then they have no room to express complaints about how an industry operates their own celebration of their peers.

I think Wanda just wanted to put out the other side of the coin, and I actually appreciate that because I probably wouldn't have looked it up.

If it truly were a dead horse then neither article would need to be printed or re-posted here on TP, I reckon.

It seems like there is a lot of line in the sand drawing regarding the Grammy awards. It really seems pretty simple.

From what I gather, any Hawaiian musicians that really want to win a Grammy should do the following:

1) Leave Hawaii move to LA
2) Get to know and network with your peers who you will eventually count on for votes.Focus on hustling and promoting yourself.
3) If you need to re-establish your local credibility, make a compilation album with folks you knew way back when. Name association is big.
5) Be an actor/actress/celebrity or make an album with one

At the end of the day, a competition is a competition. It's like anything, you have to want it bad enough and do what it takes to win.

If you think the rules are unfair and think you can make a change for the better then get involved. You can always grab your ball, go home and stop worrying about it too.

Easy peasy...

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  03:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the correspondence I have with other members, I may be one of the misguided members.
I think some of the issue is how well the nominees know the language,
but I cannot help thinking that this could be what happens when academics get involved. If the Hawaiian words are not sung correctly I am going to assume that it probably came from friends, family, and the streets. Would I be taking it too far to suggest that it is not perfect because it is "Folk" music?
To this point, my likes and dislikes of "Hawaiian" music has much more to do with the soulfulness of the performer.
But then, I do not know the language.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  05:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PearlCityBoy

Just curious, how much does it cost to join The Recording Academy (voters for Grammys) and the Hawaii Recording Academy (voters for Hokus)? Also, how many HARA members are there currently?

Aloha,
Doug

Don't kwow about the cost of membership to NARAS (Grammy)

But for HARA (Na Hoku Hanohano), it's $90.00 for a two year membership.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  06:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

NARAS voting memberships are:
$150 for 1 year
$260 for 3 years
$420 for 5 years

See: https://www.grammy365.com/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=5
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  07:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808
1) Leave Hawaii move to LA

Tell that to Charles Michael Brotman, Producer of the album that won the first Grammy for Best Hawaiian Music Album. He moved from Mercer Island (WA) to Hawai`i 35 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  08:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone, anyone, please explain why Daniel Ho is repeatedly singled out for attack on the slack key compilation albums, when there are 4 co-producers--Daniel Ho, Paul Konweiser, Wayne Wong, and George Kahumoku, Jr.--each of whom fulfills one part of a team effort. Konweiser & Wong financed the concert series ON MAUI (hey--no financing, no concert series, right?); 2) George Kahumoku, Jr produced the concert series ON MAUI; 3) Daniel Ho engineers the live recordings from the concert series ON MAUI, then masters & manufactures the recordings.

And for the record, folks, Daniel Ho has been an INVITED artist in the concert series on MAUI, INVITED by concert producers to share his own brand of artistry. Before you all start in on whether or not Daniel Hoʻs music should not be in a series titled something like "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Live from Maui" (or whatever the exact title of the concert series is), DONʻT FORGET that Richard Ho‘opi‘i is also a REGULAR artist in that series as well, and he does not play slack key.

Now, in his own Midweek commentary, Cyril Pahinui writes on p25 "[Danielʻs] business does not support the local music industry in any way . . ."

Please explain to me how this could be uttered by a prominent musician whose claim to "GRAMMY Winner" status plastered all over his promo materials is from his INCLUSION on three GRAMMY Award winning COMPILATIONS produced and marketed by Daniel Ho Creations.

amy k
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  12:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuulei88

Someone, anyone, please explain why Daniel Ho is repeatedly singled out for attack on the slack key compilation albums, when there are 4 co-producers
Oh, that's an easy one! May I? (ahem...)

"Because he doesn't live in Hawai`i."

I confess, the part of this that bothers me the most is when people who have directly benefited from the Grammy Awards given out in past years (people for whom I have tremendous respect and from whom I have learned so much, both directly and indirectly, about Hawaiian music, culture and history) have moved into a very disturbing and public attack mode. It has certainly created an awkward dissonance in how I view them and what they share with us, and that saddens me.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  1:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, too much huhu, no mo nuff jus press.
Focussing too much on awards could cause a slip in jamming, practicing and learning.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  4:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't really buy into the argument of locals vs. mainlanders.

Then how do you interpret Uncle Cyril's comment (emphasis mine): "It is a very inappropriate win and ONLY reflects the strategic location of Daniel and Tia..."
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  7:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

I don't really buy into the argument of locals vs. mainlanders.

Then how do you interpret Uncle Cyril's comment (emphasis mine): "It is a very inappropriate win and ONLY reflects the strategic location of Daniel and Tia..."

I don't read that as Cyril saying that they shouldn't win just because they're from the mainland. Rather it seems he thinks they have a distinct (and in his eyes, unfair) advantage due to their location and their proximity and accessibility to more voters.

What good does it do to pick a side and say the other guy is wrong.

There is validity to each side of the argument.

Could Hawaiian artists be more proactive? You say that lack of involvement is the problem, you're probably right.

Could Daniel and Tia have an advantage over local artists in Hawaii? Most definitely...

Daniel Ho and Tia won because they received the most votes from their peers. The majority of their peers happen to reside in a geographically connected location (i.e. not separated by miles of ocean).

Not taking away anything from his music, but Daniel Ho seems to have a better network of people that will facilitate him winning a Grammy, and that is the main reason he wins and will continue to win. Networking is 90% of getting anywhere professionally. Networking is hard work in itself.

You could make the same argument that Cyril has a better network of people to get his music played on local radio in Hawaii or get gigs in Waikiki.

It is what it is.

But yeah.. what Kory said, "Jus press", right?
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  06:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Addressing some of these points separately:
quote:
Rather it seems he thinks they have a distinct (and in his eyes, unfair) advantage due to their location and their proximity and accessibility to more voters.
---
Daniel Ho and Tia won because they received the most votes from their peers. The majority of their peers happen to reside in a geographically connected location (i.e. not separated by miles of ocean).

And as a long-time member of NARAS, I say this argument is a nonsensical smoke-screen. I have had no more contact or pressure or attention towards attracting my votes from Daniel Ho than I have had from Jeff Peterson, Dennis Kamakahi, or many of the other nominees in past years - and in each case, it has never been more than mailings or e-mails to remind me that their works have been nominated, offering me copies of the recordings if I don't already have them, and hoping that I will consider their albums when I vote. I think that's an acceptable level of "networking."

In personal conversations with the afore-mentioned artists (and other nominees), NOT ONCE have they ever brought up their nominations first, and if I brought it up (in a congratulatory message), they have done little more than say "mahalo." No further pressure.

It has been just as easy for all of these artists to stay in touch with, to "network" and communicate with me, whether 2000 miles of ocean separate us or not; physical proximity is irrelevant in today's world.

quote:
Could Hawaiian artists be more proactive? You say that lack of involvement is the problem, you're probably right.
I don't say it's the problem - but I say that increased involvement in the process (which you cannot do outside of the organization responsible for the awards) can only make it more inclusive and can be a better forum to address the concerns of others.

quote:
Not taking away anything from his music, but Daniel Ho seems to have a better network of people that will facilitate him winning a Grammy, and that is the main reason he wins and will continue to win.

By suggesting that his networking skill is "the main reason he wins," you DO take away from his music; I hope you see that distinction. (And remember - it is not for "his music" that he has received most of his Grammys; the majority have been for his work as a Producer - which leads back to Dr. Stillman's question: why, out of all the producers - and musicians - involved, does all the heat go towards only one individual?)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000