Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha `oe, Uncle Ronald Kanahele
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  08:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our beloved friend, Uncle Ronald Kanahele passed away peacefully about 1/2 hour ago of recently diagnosed lung cancer. As many of you may know, Uncle Ronald has become a big part of our hanai `ohana on O`ahu. Uncle Ronald is cousin to Feet Rogers and continued the Rogers style of steel guitar playing. He was chosen for a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Hawai`i Music Awards and was to be presented with his award in April. Uncle Ronald mentored Timi Abrigo and has passed the torch to Timi to carry on his style of steel guitar playing

. I will never forget his aloha, nor will I ever forget the kolohe little twinkle in his eye. We will miss you so much, Uncle Ronald. A hui hou.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  10:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meeting and jamming with Uncle Ron was a highlight of my trip to Oahu in 2010. Kolohe, funny, great music, plenny aloha. What a loss!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is almost impossible to imagine that such a force of nature as Ron can be gone! I'll miss him hanging out with us steelers, jamming wid da braddahs and sistahs, and singing "Mele of My Tutu E" with me. I believe that passing for someone like Ron is his moving on to the next great adventure! It is REALLY fortunate that Timmy Abrigo had his time learning from Uncle Ronald. Aloha 'oe, indeed!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too, am very sorry to hear this. I spoke with Lanet last night to see how he was doing. At that time he was stable.

Uncle Ronald meant a lot to me and Denise. I will carry a lot of personal images of him and will hold him in my heart forever. This is a very sad day for me.

The only thing I can add is that knowing Uncle Ronald, and seeing the spirit of aloha the man had, and how he was able to give to others that same spirit, and make them better off by knowing him, was truly remarkable.

Such a great loss for all that knew him. My heart goes out to his family and also to the Abrigo 'Ohana, who meant so much to him, and to all the others who were touched in some way by this man.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 03/09/2011 2:28:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will miss that man a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:( was just watching this vid of him the other day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpEtVcIyDvg

many condolences
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  04:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a video from the day that Paul and I first met Uncle Ronald. August 9, 2009. Uncle is playing "Moana Chimes. That is Shawn Machida(s.m.80808) playing guitar in the video, but plenty of other folks were around such as Duke, Jay, Paul, Ben Kaili, Peter Medeiros, Jonathan Castillo, Uncle Braddah, Kawika96797, the Balles `Ohana and lots of other folk. It was an amazing day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlzSlQelpJw

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  10:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We mustn't forget Ron's great sense of humor and fun. He was a trip, and knew the hula for "Mele of My Tutu E".

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000