Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack key into lap steel guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  03:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Nancy Kahumoku remarks in her description of this video clip of Ken Emerson, this is a very unusual technique. She says she has never seen anyone else turn a regular guitar into a lapsteel. But isn't that basically what bottleneck slide guitarists do all the time?

Ken Emerson at 2:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlKJTjIJQE&feature=player_embedded

Bonnie Raitt at 1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mylo0piAgc

Please help educate an non musician on what's going on here.

Would any musicians care to comment? Why don't we see more of this?

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  04:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been doing this with a few of my guitars because I am trying to learn lap steel but I can't afford to buy a lap steel guitar. I am going to try and make one though.

The problem with using a regular guitar, is that usualy the action is too low. You get a lot of noise and hitting the frets if your not realy careful. It seems harder to get a good tone if you cna't add enough pressure to the slide. Same with playing bottleneck slide style though.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  06:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The fingerboard radius and low nut make a standard guitar suboptimal for lap-steel playing, but it can be done. It used to be not-uncommon to retrofit a high nut (they're still available) to make a regular guitar play more like a Dobro, though that prevents changing back and forth. Blues players who switch between fingers and slide often have their action set a bit high to accommodate slide.
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  07:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Places like elderly instruments sell something called a "nut extender" that raises the action easily and reversably.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  09:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy! Bonnie Raitt doing SRV. Where's my bottleneck?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bau

I've been doing this with a few of my guitars because I am trying to learn lap steel but I can't afford to buy a lap steel guitar. I am going to try and make one though.

The problem with using a regular guitar, is that usualy the action is too low. You get a lot of noise and hitting the frets if your not realy careful. It seems harder to get a good tone if you cna't add enough pressure to the slide. Same with playing bottleneck slide style though.

Bau - check out Musician's Friend. They have a Rogue lap steel for $99 plus shpping. I have several sytudents who have them, and Trev and Sherry Mayrent came to Aloha camp with them. It's way too good for so little money.
For the rest - nut extenders have been around for 80 or more years. Before there were resonator guitars, and, maybe Weisenborne's, a raised nut was used by steel players tp avoid fret noise. I know from photos that Leon MacAulliffe played a raised nut Martin (looks like a 00-16)with a sound hole pickup when he started with Bob Wills in 1935.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  11:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds nice, Rogue is a very god brand for low end gear. But sorry when I say I have no money I mean it. not $99, not 2 cents to rub togther. not even for my medications and stuff. thats why my uke came from the trash lol But I've got some spare guitar parts , hands that kinda work still , power tools and a board. I am all for recycling anyway ;)

but thanks for that tip, mabee it help someone else.

the nut extender is a great idea! I'm gonna try and make one of them first :)
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  7:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bau,
Homemade nut extender/string-flattener;
Take a 2 inch length of copper or steel pipe 3/8 inch in diameter. Cut it in half lengthwise. Sand the edges of both nice and smooth. Loosen your strings and slide one of the half-tbes over the nut, the other over the saddle. Retighten the strings. You may have to file slots on the nut end to prevent the high and low E strings from sliding out of position or off the nut; put the grooves where the slots are in the original nut below.
A bar can be made of any heavy, smooth chunk of metal 5/8 - 3/4 " diameter. Brass rod is good, and cheap.
The raised strings should prevent fret clicking, and the metal at each end can give a loud, clear sound IF the edges are straight and flat and fit tightly and evenly where it contacts your guitar.
Have fun.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  10:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for KonaBob to chime in, he's done this morphing of guitars for ever! Ho Bob!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  04:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have a Takamine resonator guitar. I put a "Hawaiian Extension Nut" on it and played it as a steel. Worked great.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  05:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I play lap style on a regular acoustic quite often. I use ‘standard tuning’ too. I got into it when I broke my collar bone in a motorcycle crash. For six weeks I was in a sling and couldn’t use my shoulder, so I couldn’t reach round a guitar in the normal way. So in order to keep playing I gave the lap style a try.

I’ve found I can do minor type chords on the top three strings, major type chords on 2, 3 and 4, sixths on 1 and 3.

Apart from those, I’ll use single strings for bits of lead. It’s all a bit half baked, I suppose, but I don’t seem to have a problem with tone, and I don’t get noise or knock the frets – you just need a light touch on the left hand.

The big advantage is that I can just pick it up and use it for the next song, without having to retune, tinker with nut extenders, or carry another instrument around. The disadvantage is that I feel that it’s an ‘approximation’ of steel playing rather than proper steel playing. But then if I’m playing American (or for that matter Hawaiian) music in the first place then what I play is always going to be something of an approximation.

Still I’m making progress, slowly and gradually. Thanks to Konabob I’m using fingerpicks, and thanks to Alan Akaka at the Aloha camp I’ve got some major scales in a couple of positions, so I’ve got an idea of how it works and fits together. But for my regular ‘playing-in-the-pub’ situations, the ‘one guitar for everything’ approach is, well, very practical.
Go to Top of Page

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  05:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear of your accident Trev :(
that was my inpiration for learning more slide, my hands don't always have the strength for holding down srings for long.
But I've always had an interest anyway.

that is convenient to be able to use standard tuning. I've exxperimented with slack key tunings lie taropatch for the open chord.
you make a good point about the approximation thing. I feel the same way.

quick noob question if I may, what are the most common lap steel tunings?

@ Karl M. thanks for the instructions :)
Q: doesn't the edges of copper pipe, dig into the finish of the guitar over time from the pressure of the strings and vibration?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  07:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

I play lap style on a regular acoustic quite often. I use ‘standard tuning’ too. I got into it when I broke my collar bone in a motorcycle crash. For six weeks I was in a sling and couldn’t use my shoulder, so I couldn’t reach round a guitar in the normal way. So in order to keep playing I gave the lap style a try.

I’ve found I can do minor type chords on the top three strings, major type chords on 2, 3 and 4, sixths on 1 and 3.

Apart from those, I’ll use single strings for bits of lead. It’s all a bit half baked, I suppose, but I don’t seem to have a problem with tone, and I don’t get noise or knock the frets – you just need a light touch on the left hand.

The big advantage is that I can just pick it up and use it for the next song, without having to retune, tinker with nut extenders, or carry another instrument around. The disadvantage is that I feel that it’s an ‘approximation’ of steel playing rather than proper steel playing. But then if I’m playing American (or for that matter Hawaiian) music in the first place then what I play is always going to be something of an approximation.

Still I’m making progress, slowly and gradually. Thanks to Konabob I’m using fingerpicks, and thanks to Alan Akaka at the Aloha camp I’ve got some major scales in a couple of positions, so I’ve got an idea of how it works and fits together. But for my regular ‘playing-in-the-pub’ situations, the ‘one guitar for everything’ approach is, well, very practical.

Hey Trev! If you need help, I'd be more than happy to assist you. Contact me off-line. Also, Basil Henriques is somewhere in the British Isles. He is an excellent source for Hawaiian steel and has been teachin for quite a while.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  07:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bau

sorry to hear of your accident Trev :(
that was my inpiration for learning more slide, my hands don't always have the strength for holding down srings for long.
But I've always had an interest anyway.

that is convenient to be able to use standard tuning. I've exxperimented with slack key tunings lie taropatch for the open chord.
you make a good point about the approximation thing. I feel the same way.

quick noob question if I may, what are the most common lap steel tunings?

@ Karl M. thanks for the instructions :)
Q: doesn't the edges of copper pipe, dig into the finish of the guitar over time from the pressure of the strings and vibration?

The oldest steel tuning is, of course, Taropatch. Then, starting in the 20's, E and D tunings appeared. I believe that Sol Ho'opi'i was the first to use a 6th tuning, E6, which he called C#minor. it spread like wildfire through the country and western swing players and became C6, D9 (added a ninth note to the 6th chord), E9, etc. Most players nowdays use a C6 in some variation, although some folks, like Konabob, use a G6. btw, I think taht this topic should be moved to the Steel page, yeah, Andy?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  01:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bau, the accident was over six years ago - it didn't heal properly straight away and I needed an operation involving some bone from my hip and a titanium plate, but for the last few years I've been as good as new.

Thinking about it, if it wasn't for that, I'd not have come to the idea of playing steel guitar, and thence to developing an interest in Hawaiian music. Every cloud has a silver lining!

Jack, that's very kind of you. Maybe one day!
Go to Top of Page

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  12:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the info Slipry1

@ trev glad to here you are good as new, you are a lucky one then! ;)
that is a nice thought, that something tragic can have a beautiful outcome.
To silver linings and happy endings! cheers :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000