Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Etiquette in Posting Slack Key YouTube Covers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HoldinCoffee
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  02:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how to ask this... I've been studying Slack Key for over a year now. It was through the YouTube videos of Fran Guidry, SlackKey808, Paul Certo, and a host of others that I was led to this wonderful music and I feel I'm a better person for having been exposed to it. Recently, I've begun recording some practice sessions (self analysis I suppose) and I think I'd like to share some of them with friends and family via video sharing sites like YouTube. My question to the forum is this... is their an etiquette to posting cover songs in the Slack Key community? I know that some songwriters and record companies frown on this while others encourage it.

For example, I have been studying John Keawe's DVD, Learn To Play Ki Ho'Alu. Would it be appropriate for a beginner such as myself to post a video on Youtube of myself playing a version of his song Mama's Music Box? Or Ozzie Kotani's Molehu?

I ask for input out of respect because I would never want to insult anyone or infringe on their intellectual property. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  04:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the wonderful things about slack key and Hawaiian music is the accessibility of the artists and composers. These folks aren't surrounded by a corporate machine, they have phone numbers, email addresses, and they respond. So you can contact them directly and ask for their guidance.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  05:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have contacted a few slack artists myself and I agree with Fran. They are accessible and may very well respond.
In my experiences though, most consider thier music to be available to amatures for a YouTube style cover--with credit to the composer of course.
Ozzie may have commented here on TaroPatch concerning this subject. Try a search and see if he or others have.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 03/21/2011 05:37:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  06:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try to contact the composer when possible to ask permission before I post my videos. If the composer is deceased, doesn't answer,or you cannot find contact information, I guess you have to make a decision yourself. I have had one or two composers who asked me not to post videos of their songs. This is when I know I was correct to have asked first. The more common problem comes when you post someone else's recording.
I hope you are not studying my hacked efforts to closely, you might learn all my mistakes! Especially don't trust my phrasing and pronunciation of Hawaiian lyrics to be correct.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  2:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Specifcally, John Keawe has been very supportive. Email him and let him know what you're going to do. He'd be delighted to have you cover him (I'm pretty sure). He's supported my efforts to do his songs for years.
Go to Top of Page

HoldinCoffee
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  03:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, never occurred to me that anyone would respond... as I mentioned, Fran is one of my guitar heros and he was the first person to offer advice! Wow, now I'm nervous to post anything.
I did a search on this forum, seems copyright has been a big topic regarding tabs, but cover songs, I couldn't find mentioned. I think I will take the advice and write some emails. If someone gives me the thumbs up, I'll go ahead, and if I don't get a reply or a straight out No, then I'll just keep those songs for me in the quiet hours of the night.

Many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  09:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And don't forget to give me a heads up when you do post vids, so we can include them on the Mele Monday list. Everyone would surely want to share in the fun.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000