Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 U Bass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  4:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a Kala 'U Bass'. Works fine for me and my wife Wendy is enjoying her bass lessons. Going to use it at LT Smooth's CD Release Party on Sept 3, 5pm-pau at Huggos ON DA ROCKS!!!!!

donkaulia

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  5:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice for you. Fretted, fretless, solid body? I've had mine for a little over a year now - it needed some "fixes," but overall, I'm happy with it.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting that they charge so much more for the solid bodies.

Even more interesting that something made me "upgrade" from the laminate version to the all solid wood one - like the difference is audible <grin>.

We've found that the playing technique makes a huge difference in the sound, but when you find the right plucking stroke it gets really fat.

Greg, what issues have you found? I've noticed that the D string intonates a bit flat so I usually cheat it a bit sharp when I tune up.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  09:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retro plays one here in Seattle, and the Japanese trio, "Kanekapila"; uses one, too. They're ok, easy to play, and certainly very transportable, but the levels have to be set very carefully, or they emit a pretty non-tonal "thump", imho.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Greg, what issues have you found? I've noticed that the D string intonates a bit flat so I usually cheat it a bit sharp when I tune up.

The easier one to have fixed was that the jack kept wobbling loose, despite several times reaching in with needle-nose pliers to tighten it, so I finally had it glued in firmer.

The one I can't seem to get corrected is the pickup for the G string is quieter than the other three; I've heard this same comment from a couple other players of the Kala, but they both had it happen with the E string.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  05:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro
The one I can't seem to get corrected is the pickup for the G string is quieter than the other three; I've heard this same comment from a couple other players of the Kala, but they both had it happen with the E string.

I recall a procedure for adjusting sensitivity of undersaddle pickups involving bits of paper used to adjust the tension at one string or another. I'm pretty happy with the string to string balance on mine.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  10:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solid body has built in pre-amp (MiSi therefore no battery, but a capacitor to charge for 8 hours of play). Also the scale is a bit longer, whereas the original has 16 frets, the solid body has 24 frets. Solid body per Kala advertisement is built/assembled in the USA (Petaluma, Ca) and is available as a 5 string too. The fret spacing is a bit wider, and I am told by an experienced bass player holds tone well down the neck. And of course you need amplification, whereas the original you can practice without an amp. Both are portable and easy to travel.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  2:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GUke

... whereas the original you can practice without an amp.
That's actually a little misleading; sure, you can hear it acoustically by yourself, with nothing else going on - but very faintly. You can't hear it if you are playing along with a recording or in practice with any other musicians. You really need amplification at all times with the UBass.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  09:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone in our local uke group asked the following question, and I was wondering if any of you would have thoughts I could share with them:

"We have talked to someone who is tuning their new Kala bass in soprano tuning, GCEA. It seems to work. Can anyone think of any reasons to not do this?"

I've already expressed some concerns about tension and string wear, and Nathan Aweau said that he would find that tuning "a little questionable," but I suspect the question comes from a uke player with no bass training.

Mahalo for your thoughts.
= Gregg =
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  05:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
String tension is the main concern. Also, the traditional bass tuning opens up the patterns for bass playing (ask Slipry1, he knows this stuff).
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  09:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

String tension is the main concern. Also, the traditional bass tuning opens up the patterns for bass playing (ask Slipry1, he knows this stuff).

Indeed! There are 2 basic patterns for electric bass, depending whether the root note is on the 3rd or the 4th string. Sorry to be so late on responding, but somehow I missed the thread. Oh - for acoustic bass, the patterns are different. You try to hit open stings, while, for the electric bass, you try to avoid them.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  3:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have and Asbory made by fender. Same thing but doe's have the Uke shape. People smile when I pull it out but pluged in spunds like an upright bass. I got mine form Elderly music this thing was invented in 1956 I sometimes play it thru a battery amp. Sounds great

fred davis
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  4:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who own the Kala UBass, there are two sets of strings you can buy that are not OEM. One is the Aquila Thundergut ($24 for a 4 String set) and the other is made by Pyramid ($50 for a 4 string set). From what I got on the internet the Aquila Thundergut set does not stretch as much as the OEM (pahoehoe strings). So the Aquilaʻs require less time to set and donʻt have to be retuned as often. One review claims the Aquila are louder(unamped) and more treble. But one negative reported is that these strings may be stickier. The Pyramid strings are metal round wound nylon strings and make the UBass sound more like an electric bass guitar. Google and get more info.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  5:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Genaro - I'll check that out!
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  12:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Oh - for acoustic bass, the patterns are different. You try to hit open stings, while, for the electric bass, you try to avoid them."

I play some electric bass and some 'Stand Up' bass, (there's a reason I call it that!) and I've honestly never even heard of this, let along done it. What's the reasoning behind it?

I can see the appeal of the uke bass, in terms of portability and so on. If they'd had them when I started bass, perhaps the course of my life would have been different. But I can't replace my beloved Stand Up with a titchy little uke size thing that you can't use without an amp. For me, it just wouldn't feel right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000