Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Old LP from Tahiti
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Adam Troy
Akahai

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the demise of the HSGA forum, we are just going to have to make this the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Forum. Kika Kila nui nui.

There is some really nice steel guitar on this LP. I love the combination of acoustic and electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FS_Gmuj7vg

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2015 :  12:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Idea!

I do not play steel myself, but have delved into a little bottle-neck.

And sometimes into the whole bottle!

It would be nice to see more activity on this board.

Might help to keep this board from slip-sliding away! (pun intended)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/25/2015 12:44:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2015 :  08:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, they moved the HSGA forum to Facebook. I still check in here at lest once a week, tho.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

k0k0peli
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  7:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will admit to owning an Aloha 'lap' steel guitar (pretty heavy for my lap!) and its accompanying case and 12-watt tube amp, all circa 1950. I got these at a yard sale for maybe US$25 many decades ago but don't play nearly enough. My Academy dobro is much handier for running a slide over. But I'm trying to revisit my under-utilized instruments: the o'uds, the dulcimers, the electrics. I need to drag out the Aloha more often, yeah!

The worst day strumming is better than the best day working.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  10:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k0k0peli

I will admit to owning an Aloha 'lap' steel guitar (pretty heavy for my lap!) and its accompanying case and 12-watt tube amp, all circa 1950. I got these at a yard sale for maybe US$25 many decades ago but don't play nearly enough. My Academy dobro is much handier for running a slide over. But I'm trying to revisit my under-utilized instruments: the o'uds, the dulcimers, the electrics. I need to drag out the Aloha more often, yeah!

Get in touch with Alan Akaka. He's one of the best Hawaiian steelers, he has a music school (http://www.kekulamele.com/), he gives lessons on Skype, and he's a great guy.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

k0k0peli
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  1:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1Get in touch with Alan Akaka. He's one of the best Hawaiian steelers, he has a music school (http://www.kekulamele.com/), he gives lessons on Skype, and he's a great guy.
Thanks! I check him out. I guess my main obstacle is psychological -- I just haven't felt like playing anything electric lately -- the Aloha, the bass, the CBG, the 'ordinary' guitars. Maybe because the electrics and amps are in another room where I don't hang out so much. But that's no excuse for not playing the dobro in DADGBD.

The worst day strumming is better than the best day working.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000