Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Moses Kahumoku's Pohakuloa tuning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2017 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi good people, it's been a while since I played any slack key guitar, or any guitar for that matter, and can't remember much, so I'm more or less starting over with it.

On Moses's album Ho'okupu, he plays my favorite Slack Key guitar piece to date, and I've been fooling around trying to pick it out by ear to get the basics down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfXzwVqjNnI

In a previous post here on the forum, a member said that it was in open G, tuned down to F (assuming he meant on the CD). Now, open G taropatch is D G D G B D low to high, so how do you get F from that? You might surmise that I am not knowledgeable in music theory, and you would be absolutely correct.

Can you explain this minor detail please to an old guy, just getting back into playing guitar by ear again?

Thank you for your help, and be well.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  02:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Barry

I have found that slackers from the mainland like to tune their guitars down to an F Taropatch for a bunch reasons. Some do it because they often accompany ukulele players who like to play in the key of F. By doing so they keep all their Taropatch inventory to use while they accompany in the key of F. Then when they want to play in the key of G they would just put a capo on the second fret. I myself just drop my top string to a C so that I'll be in Drop C then capo at the 5th fret to play in the key of F.

All you have to do to tune to F Taropatch is to drop all your strings one full step. So from bass to trebles, your strings will be tuned as follows C-F-C-F-A-C. Some people tune it this way because they like the deeper sound of the lower tuning or just because it fits their vocal range better.

Warmest Aloha
Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  05:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Duke, and thank you for the great, helpful reply-yes, that makes sense to me. I will try it and see if it matches the CD next time I play.

Also nice to be back here, and see that people still do post! Mahalo Duke!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  07:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For whatever reason, almost every acoustic guitar that I've ever owned liked Taropatch F (except a Rainsong). Maybe just my ear doing this. I've owned 7 Taylors and a couple of Goodalls and they all sounded better down one step. I play with Elixir PB Mediums, so maybe that has something to do with it. F also seems to sound better with short-scale rigs (grand concert - my current renditions).

BTW, always good to hear from Duke.
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  12:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff, guys-thank you! Yes, Terry (Chunky Monkey), that makes sense about your guitars sounding good in F with the medium strings you use-they no doubt enhance the lower tunings being heavier gauged. I imagine lights (I have never used them myself) would sound less enthusiastic tuned down a stop! And sure, type of string can influence the tone as well for sure. I am new to shorter scale guitars, but I do have one now in a nylon string flamenco guitar which might be instructive in how it sounds tuned down compared to the standard nylon string guitars, or like you say differs a recognizable amount in steel string guitars with different scale lengths.

Very interesting, anyway, and I'm looking forward to finding my own preferences again after not playing for quite a while.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2017 :  08:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just glanced, and tend to speed read, with low accuracy!
... but if not mentioned, I've seen alot of 12-string players, Slack and regular tuning people, go a step lower...and partially because of tension on a 12 string, both for saving the instrument a lot of tension...and also would be friendly to voices, ukes and fingers, as mentioned.
Also when you capo out of that, you easily get Bb, Eb etc.
I remember
One of Dennis Kamakahi's Dancing Cat versions of Wahini Ilikea was in F Taropatch.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  04:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In F Taropatch, drop your bass string to Bb and you're in Drop Bb...lovely!!

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  08:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeez Terry...7 Taylors, Goodalls, Rainsong...you're catching up to me. :-)

Long time no see...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  09:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Hey Barry

I have found that slackers from the mainland like to tune their guitars down to an F Taropatch for a bunch reasons. Some do it because they often accompany ukulele players who like to play in the key of F. By doing so they keep all their Taropatch inventory to use while they accompany in the key of F. Then when they want to play in the key of G they would just put a capo on the second fret. I myself just drop my top string to a C so that I'll be in Drop C then capo at the 5th fret to play in the key of F.

All you have to do to tune to F Taropatch is to drop all your strings one full step. So from bass to trebles, your strings will be tuned as follows C-F-C-F-A-C. Some people tune it this way because they like the deeper sound of the lower tuning or just because it fits their vocal range better.

Warmest Aloha
Duke

As I recall, Uncle Ray Kane tuned his taropatch down, probably not exactly down to F though. When we saw his last slack key festival performance the guys playing with him tried tuning his guitar up to G, but Ray got it back to his preferred pitch just before they all went on stage. The result was not wonderful since all the other guys were still tuned to G.

Uncle Sonny Chillingworth also recorded in F taropatch occasionally, even down three half steps to E.

I prefer F taropatch over drop C capo 5 when I'm in a group with `ukulele because the capo 5 version puts the guitar up into uke range and I'd rather be holding down the bottom. But drop C capo 5 is definitely a handy tool when the guitar is in G and somebody wants to play F (I'm looking at you, `ukulele people (grin)).

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/04/2017 09:06:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  12:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"In F Taropatch, drop your bass string to Bb and you're in Drop Bb..."
This is getting slack happy! I think my strings are getting Toulouse-Lautrec, I mean, "too loose to track."
The test will be when someone says, "Hey Buddy, can you give me an 'A'". Luckily I have perfect pitch, if I stand really close.

Go to Top of Page

dhergert
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  07:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

I have found that slackers from the mainland like to tune their guitars down to an F Taropatch for a bunch reasons.

Yes... I'm also using Taropatch C for mandolin: GG.CC.EE.GG

It works nicely, although I use heavier than normal mandolin strings for the two treble courses (EE.GG) to get better tone.

I do a lot of chord melody work, for which Taropatch C applies very well.

-- Don (on the mainland)
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  1:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhergert
I do a lot of chord melody work, for which Taropatch C applies very well.

-- Don (on the mainland)

A couple of months ago, I ordered a Cordoba Mini M guitalele, and I've got that tuned to Taropatch C (G-C-G-C-E-G). It's a wonderful little instrument that sounds fantastic.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000