Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Guidance for instructing my grandsons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  5:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
It has been quite a while since my last post, 2011? I thought that I would be back as a full time contributor. Life has a few laughs in store for us that we are are completely unaware of. My son got married, his two sons are now teen and pre-teen and ready to learn ki hoalu at the behest of my daughter-in-law.
I strictly play in open g Taro Patch Tuning. I have quite a few songs down. My wife just won a battle with esophageal cancer and she cries every time she hears Bradda Iz's Over The Rainbow. Where do I start? Salomila? Pua Mana? Akaka Falls? What?
I have Pete Medeiros' book somewhere, and the other basic books along with Keola's book in some Tao patch but mostly Keols's C tuning. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm over the hill 66 yrs old and need some help before my final Paul Hana, maholo nui braddas and titas!

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  2:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend getting your hands on Ozzie Kotani's book (https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Playing-Hawaiian-Style-Kotani/dp/0786688041). I found it an excellent gateway into ki ho'alu.

Harry Koizumi has some excellent instructional videos on Youtube.com (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46MiPxDyxySKeiNNtY1Nvw).

Mark Nelson's series of videos on Jamplay.com is also very good, although you need a subscription to view those.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  11:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second Geoff's recommendation of Ozzie's 1st book. It is the perfect entry level book Very digestable & the perfect introduction to the important elements of slack key such as the alternating bass pattern.

Harry Koizumi's YouTube channel full of slack key tutorial videos is also a good learning resource & it's free
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  5:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have Ozzie's book, in fact I started with that book. ShouldI keep using taro patch tuning? I am comfortable with it. Is there a simple song that I can start with, or should I just follow the book? Mahalo for the feedback.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  08:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first song in the book, "Kani Ki Ho`alu" is a perfect first slack key piece, with all the elements in place. Taropatch is a wonderful tuning.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

JackSprat
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  12:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll echo the comments on Ozzie's book. The tabs themselves are really well done. The songs are fun, sound great, simple enough to pick up, and have lots of room to try advanced techniques and stretch as repertoire grows. The book gives you a good inventory of different vamps/tags, too.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  5:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, my braddas, I tried the open f for the first time, my strings must be dead. Good to be back once again, missed you guys. 10 years gone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000