Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Forgot a song!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2023 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently got back to slack key after being distracted by other things.
As I worked through my playlist, I got to Queen's Jubilee, which I *think* was learned from an Ozzie Kotani book or maybe a video. It was completely gone -- I could not even recall the basic melody or fake my way through. A couple of days later after some deep thought, it came back, and playing it a few times smoothed out the rough edges and hitches again.

Note to self: Do NOT ever let 3-4 months go by without refreshing the repertoire! Gotta keep it under the fingers. I'm 64 now and have been quite busy with challenging work of late. Maybe it was a senior moment, or just being very tired. Second note to self: RETIRE!

Edited by - Earl on 12/18/2023 12:17:33 PM

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2023 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use the music muscles! Keep music on in the background while doing chores, etc.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2023 :  05:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do that Thumb. I have Masters of Hawaiian Music ( several volumes ) playing through the barn every day when I'm cleaning stalls etc. Keeps everything fresh ( pun intended ).LOL

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2023 :  2:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, I've found that when I listen to music while doing things other than music, I hear and listen differently and catch things I missed.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2023 :  07:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having music generically in the background can put me in the mood to play. But unless I hear that specific tune, it doesn't help me remember it or keep it under my fingers. I should record myself playing, but is seems narcissistic to play my own recording on repeat. Playing is the only answer -- and a good one.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2023 :  07:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find someone to jam with. It keeps things fresher and helps timing.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2023 :  06:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I jam with people all the time, thumbs. Unfortunately it's not Hawaiian music -- more bluegrass and classic country/rock for old geezers like me. Between folks moving back to Hawaii and deaths over the last two years, the local Hawaiian community has dissipated again. The hula halau does not want to dance with live music, preferring recordings. For island music, it is pretty isolated here in Idaho. Slack key is something I do for myself. I even dropped out of the local ukulele club that I founded in 2008. For them hapa haole tunes was almost too much of a reach. "Tiny Bubbles" was as far as I could take them. They were suspicious of "Koke'e" and "Wahine Ilikea", and I ended up singing those solo, although they would strum along.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2023 :  07:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand. Even here, "Koke'e" was played way too slow - I told'em to go back and listen to Dennis' job. People easily get into ruts. For your Country groups, tell them that slack key is Hawaiian Bluegrass. BTW, "Tiny Bubbles" is a Country song written in California. Don Ho liked it and translated it into Hawaiian.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2024 :  04:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hau'oli Makahiki Hou everyone in the Patch !

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2024 :  5:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awfully quiet here in the ki ho'alu room - this is the first post since New Year's Day. I have been approached by someone putting together a local one-day island festival. I'll teach a ukulele workshop and perform. I also volunteered to teach an intro to slack-key workshop, which is how I got started nearly 21 years ago. Pay it forward....

Once there is more specific info I will also invite the local uke club (which I formerly led) to perform. They are forever beginners and afraid of real Hawaiian music, but can have fun with hapa haole stuff too -- if they dare.

Last time I went to something like this was pre-plague. It was a real chicken skin moment when this haole boy led 300 people singing Hawaii Aloha at the end.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2024 :  5:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang in there Earl. Nice to know someone still cares. Wish I had something important to post.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2024 :  05:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same canoe with you, chunky. Unless there is something to say I rarely post, even though I browse through almsot daily. But there isn't much happening around da patch lately. This pending day festival gave me an excuse to post.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2024 :  7:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Iʻm going to do my part to keep a thread alive. Just got back from the Islands this week! Was at Kona Steel Guitar Fest (my playing sucked), Aloha Music Camp (I played Gabby-style Le'ahi), then to O'ahu where I sat in with David Kaio at Papakaleo, and Mike Ka'awa for Tuesday Tunes, and had one great kanikapila with Duke Domingo, and went to Waimanalo Kanikapila, and Ledward/Mike concert.

Yeah, a bit dizzy....

--Maliko

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"

Edited by - Maliko on 04/27/2024 7:50:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000