Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 E huli makou
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kilaueabart
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  3:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first got here to what looks like a very interesting site by googling the words in the subject line above. As a sort of `ukulele player, I have been familiar with that song for many years, but there is a puzzle in it for me that no one in the thread that came up answered.

I have always been well aware that "makou" means "the group of us, excluding you." What I have always wondered is, who is the "`oe" with the nice eyes/face, etc., that is being sung to? What is special about him/her that we others are doing all these movements for?

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2015 :  06:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the huapala.org text I find no 'oe. http://www.huapala.org/E/E_Huli_Makou.html

The history of the song indicates that it was written as a hula for performance at a hotel. I'd say the E huli is addressing the dancers, exclusive of the audience.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000