Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Volcano, California!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k0k0peli
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  08:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually a bit uphill from downtown Volcano, below Lake Tahoe off the Kit Carson Pass highway. I'm in a remote mountain hamlet with few (if any) folks nearby playing any kind of traditional music. [/me whines pathetically] I started on mountain dulcimer over a half-century ago but am mostly a folk-blues git-picker with strong bites of mando and banjo.

I started on 'ukes a few years back with a soprano banjo-uke that I mostly ignored until recently. Or maybe I should count the concert-uke-size cuatro-menor strung GGG-CCC-EEE-GGG we bought in Paracho, Mexico. But my downfall really began a few months ago when my wife bought me a Kala KA6 6-string tenor 'uke. Zing! We now have 3 more cheap sopranos strung variously, 4- and 8-string tenors, a 10-string tiple, and cheap 4-string concert and baritone 'ukes. (And a pile of mandolins, but that's another story.)

Which of those count as taropatches? I guess a) those with 6-8-10-12 strings and b) those tuned slack. Anyway, I'm here to learn All Things Taropatch as best I can. Cheers!

The worst day strumming is better than the best day working.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  06:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the patch k0k0peli!

"Taropatch tuning" refers to the Hawaiian Open G tuning for Slack Key Guitar, what you call the rest of your instruments/tunings is probably up to you.

For learning, one of the best things to do is use SEARCH and remember to search the ARCHIVES for most things you want to learn about.

When you first mentioned Volcano I thought you lived on the Big Island! I do have a friend who dabbles in traditional music living in River Pines not far from Volcano, but Carson Pass and Lake Tahoe are a pretty long drive away from Volcano!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/22/2015 06:56:40 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.01 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000