Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Washington State
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JonThysell
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  08:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit JonThysell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha!

My name is Jon, and I'm a hapa-haole living up in Washington, where I work as a software engineer for Microsoft.

My mother was a hula dancer and eventually a kumu with her own halau, so I've been surrounded by Hawaiian music and culture my entire life. However it wasn't until college that my grandmother bought me my first ukulele and I tried to learn how to play.

Unfortunately it didn't last, (the group I joined was very "sink or swim" and I had no musical education) and I ended up putting down the instrument for a good ten years before picking it up again. I took my girlfriend (now wife) to Hawai'i and she was the one who encouraged me to pick it back up.

I've been playing ukulele for four years now, in a variety of genres and styles, bought and sold dozens of ukuleles, and have even done a few gigs at nursing homes and street fairs.

The last two years however, I've drifted more and more back to just playing the Hawaiian music I love. These days I almost entirely play in DGBd tuning on a custom koa/spruce baritone I rescued. I've mostly been following Mark Nelson's book (I even got to do some workshops with him) and have about ten songs in my repertoire that I can play from memory.

This year I decided it was time to consider getting my first guitar, and after a lot of searching and experimenting, I fell in love with and bought a brand new Taylor GS Mini-e Koa. And it's never going to see standard tuning. :)

I've poked in and out of this forum for years, but I figured now was time to actually join up.

Mahalo in advance for all things I'm bound to learn here!

/jon

Guitar: Taylor GS Mini-e Koa (DGDGBD)

Ukuleles:
Soprano: Kamaka Pineapple HP-1 (GCEA)
Concert: KoAloha KCM-00 (GCEA)
Baritone: Black Bear #146 (DGBD)

Other: David Gomes T10-76 Tiple (GCEA)

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  05:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Jon. Where in WA are you? I'm in Bellevue, and we have twice-monthly (usually)kanikapilas at my house...and on-&-off house concerts. There's also an all-levels slack key class at Highline College in Des Moines.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

JonThysell
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  5:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit JonThysell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in Kirkland. I'd love to do some kanikapila, though I may have to stick with the uke for a bit until I get used to these extra strings.

Guitar: Taylor GS Mini-e Koa (DGDGBD)

Ukuleles:
Soprano: Kamaka Pineapple HP-1 (GCEA)
Concert: KoAloha KCM-00 (GCEA)
Baritone: Black Bear #146 (DGBD)

Other: David Gomes T10-76 Tiple (GCEA)
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  06:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come to the kanikapila at Jean's this afternoon/eve.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000