Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Greetings from Queens, NYC!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  3:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Patchers! Glad to be aboard here on TP and looking forward to picking your brains and sharing some good music with you folks.

42-year-old father of a 9-month-old here. Living in Queens, working in Manhattan.

Although I'm pretty new to slack key, it was love from the first time I heard it and I have been doing all I can to soak up the music remotely from NYC. Currently, I'm making my way through Ozzie's book, stealing licks from YouTube from cats like Led and Bradda Duke to incorporate into improvs, and trying to learn more tunes. My thumb isn't quite there yet, but we're getting it.

My exposure to slack key has so far come from YouTube (TP members Fran and Duke top of the list), my Raymond Kane pandora station, and a couple of compilation CDs. But I'm very excited to learn more about this music, to get better at it, and to have a good time with it.

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  08:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working through the Ozzie book will certainly give you a firm foundation. The next step bookwise might be Mark Hanson "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key." Or if you prefer visuals, either Ozzie's second DVD or Led's video with Bob Brozman. Then get Ray Kane's DVD http://caseextreme.com/prod_details.php?pid=148 - no tab but it's a joy watching Uncle Ray do Uncle Ray! And meanwhile check Harry Koizimi on YouTube.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recommendations. I added these to my wish list.

The Ozzie book is great. It's like a dictionary of the style, and every measure of every exercise can be elaborated into it's own tune. A lot of it is sight-readable, but I feel this is one to absorb and not just memorize.

All of the songs/exercises in the Ozzie have their own charm and character, but the one that really stands out to me is Molehu. Short, simple sweet...sublime.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  7:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 12toneman

All of the songs/exercises in the Ozzie have their own charm and character, but the one that really stands out to me is Molehu. Short, simple sweet...sublime.

I have to agree with you there. It's probably my favourite from the book too. I keep poking at it, trying to find new ways to play it. Some phrases are easier to rework than others.

I just wish it was longer.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  05:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a 2nd part to Molehu, by our own Andy. We play it in class alla time :-) It's probably somewhere on Da Patch.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  04:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every time I learn a new slack-key tune, something relates back to Ozzie's book, and the songs & drills there. It is amazing how much technique is encompassed into what appears to be relatively simple songs. It is hard to imagine a better starting point.

I just wish that I could have connected with Kumu Ozzie during my last trip to Oahu in 2015. Alas, it was not to be.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000