Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele beginner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2022 :  3:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After years of playing slack key guitar I’m finally looking for an ukulele…..I’m leaning toward a tenor…any suggestions and thoughts much appreciated….James

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  06:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's your budget? Want a pickup? Like bling? Concerned about location of manufacture?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  08:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since you asked, a tenor is my preference and with a low G string. You can tune the first string down from A to G to get GCEg, and have Open C tuning (like taro patch but a fourth higher). You won't have the alternating bass line like on a guitar but all of the licks & tricks from the higher pitched four strings become readily available.

Mark Nelson has a book on slack key ukulele that would be helpful, "Learn to Play Slack Key Style Ukulele". His "Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele" book is also quite good. https://mark-o.com/buy/books/

Any quality brand will work depending on your budget. Kala and Ohana are fine, with Lanikai and others right behind. I have a wonderful Big Island Uke Company Honu toner in all koa that is a delight. My primary player is the composite Blackbird Farallon tenor these days - no worries about temperature or humidity, but not cheap.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2022 :  07:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Earl. That is good info. I don't own a ukulele yet but have been considering it now for a few months. Mahalo

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2022 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The late Rod Lopez, Sr (Roddy's Dad) told me that he considered ukulele with high "G" and ukulele with low "G" to be 2 different instruments and brought both to gigs - low G for playing leads and Jazz, high G for playing rhythm and "chalangalang".
Go to Top of Page

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  7:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks for the suggestions…..purchased a Koaloha tenor the other week,….plenty of lessons on YouTube and the various websites…..most likely hook up with a group in Bay Area.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2024 :  10:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've just purchased my first ukulele. I won it on a Goodwill.com auction. It's a Lanikai concert model.. Looks really nice. It came with only three strings and no G string. I have a new set of high g strings that I was going to put on but have two questions for everyone. Is there a was for my to tell if it originally had a low G string or high G string. I've heard that some people file the nut a little to make up for the wider string size. If they did do that will putting on a high G string be too loose in the saddle? Thanks

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2024 :  2:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it depends on whether or not the nut was reworked and if so, did the tech do a decent job. I think if the notch is deep and clean it shouldn't make a difference. But what do I know? No longer a fan of ukuleles (I got that out of my system).
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000