Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Kanahele's book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  04:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a copy of Kanahele's book on Hawaiian music published some time ago by U H? If so, would you mind "loaning" it -- I'll pay insured shipping and send a deposit to guarantee return.
Raymond
San Jose, CA

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  3:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the libraries of colleges and universities in your area -- many of them have this *outstanding* reference book in their collections. Most will only allow "on premises" viewing, however. (ditto for my own copy! <g>).

If you can find a copy for sale on abebooks.com, snag it. Just within the past 5 years or so, this book has seemingly gone MIA, completely.

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  11:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second Auntie Maria's advice about research libraries--our little provincial university library has a copy, so it's probably reasonably widely distributed.

Also: last year I was told that a revised edition is in the works, edited by John Berger. I don't know when it will come out (and research projects can be VERY slow to complete), but there will be a replacement eventually.

And copies do pop up on the used market, but you have to be on the lookout constantly.

Addendum: I just did a quick Amazon search, which turned up about a half dozen used copies. The cheapest was $109.75, the priciest over $200. But they are out there.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 11/23/2002 11:12:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  10:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another site to search is www.abe.com -- usually a few copies for sale there, everytime I've looked. Yikes, the asking prices have gone beserk!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

MiBo
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  10:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the full title of this book? What makes it so important or valuable?
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  02:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book is considered by many to be "the bible" of Hawaiian music and musicians -- biographical information on musicians and composers, historical information about songs, record labels, radio and TV broadcasts. A 543-page reference _treasure_ for any die-hard fan of Hawaiian music.

The book went out of print just as interest in Hawaiian music was seeming to explode. Bad timing, for sure! Reprinting was out of the question at that point, as Dr. Kanahele had moved on to other projects -- and no one else wanted to fund the minimum-order reprinting. Further compounding the issue was that Dr.Kanahele was only the editor; many folks had contributed the information which he then culled and compiled into this wonderful publication. As I was told by the publisher, reprinting would have required permission of the original contributors -- many of whom had since passed on, without having left "rights" for reprinting to any of their heirs. When Dr. Kanahele passed away, any hope for a reprinting of the book, were dashed.

Originally priced at $25, I've heard from many O`ahu friends that the book was piled in stacks at bookstores on the island, marked down to just $5 (irk!). Now you're lucky just to find a used copy -- and if you do find one, expect to pay nearly $100 for it.

UPDATE 2/6/03: A search for this book today, found only 2 at abebooks.com -- at $250 and up. Yiiiiiiiiikes!

Full title, etc:
HAWAIIAN MUSIC AND MUSICIANS: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY
Edited by George S. Kanahele
University Press of Hawaii - 1979
ISBN 0 8248 0578 X

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Edited by - Auntie Maria on 02/06/2003 1:51:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

jcraft1
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2020 :  2:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize that I am responding to an almost 20 year old string, but this book is currently available new from Amazon.com for $35.00

Slack Key is timeless, yet always new.
Blessings and peace be upon the de-tuned.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000