Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Kaii's Hawaiian Guitar Method ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

I ran across a slack key book on abebooks.com that I haven't read about on Taropatch entitled: "Kaii's Hawaiian Guitar Method." On the Steel Guitar Forum I found the following description of this book:

KAII'S METHOD FOR HAWAIIAN GUITAR 1926
A Major tuning, Low Bass: E,C#,A,E,A,E. In music notation and tab.

Does anyone know anything about this book?

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  2:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a book for Hawaiian Steel Guitar, not slack key.

Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  05:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I thought that this was almost certainly a steel guitar book, but I just wanted to verify that.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  09:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries. It is a pretty nice book, actually. I have at least one version of it somewhere.

Back in the day, "Hawaiian Guitar" meant steel guitar-- the regular kind was called "Spanish Guitar." Gibson still uses the designation for their electric guitars: the venerable ES 3335 --aka the guitar of choice for Chuck Berry & B.B. King-- is actually an "Electric Spanish."

There are gazillions of old "Hawaiian Guitar" method books that show up at flea markets and on eBay all the time. None are too valuable as collectables, but they sure are interesting little artifacts.

From everything I have heard (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) slack key was virtually unknown here on the, ahem, continent, until Gabby caught the ear of Ry & Chet in the 60s.

However, I'd be willing to bet some of those very early Hawaiian musicians touring the Expo circuit at the turn of the 20th Century were playing slack, but I've never found any concrete evidence of it.

The good thing about history is that it is so changeable.
Go to Top of Page

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow Mark--great comment. Admin: can we have a "like" button? (just kidding . . . paha)

amy k
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000