Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Vote for your favorite logo!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  01:25:53 AM  Show Profile
Aloha All,
I'm new here (first post) but I am so glad I found you! I love slack key! Just found out about 6 months back and it's probably at the top of my favorite music list(and I like alot)! It really gets to me!
There really was no other choice for the logo-when I saw #1,I knew that it was IT!(for me) It is a beautiful design,and the colors are outstanding!!!
T-Shirts Please! 2X for me! Thanks for being here and inviting me in!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 08/07/2003 3:19:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  01:36:50 AM  Show Profile
One logo(#1) on the front, one logo on back(#12), which is also beautiful artwork! My vote is in!
Or should the runner up be on the back? No, #12 is IT!

Yes, the other artists deserve credit due them too! Nice work everyone!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 08/07/2003 3:21:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  03:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You know, it's a shame that we can't rate each logo on a 1 to 10 scale instead of just voting for one, because that way the artists who aren't getting many votes would realize that their logos are still outstanding; it's just that one is preferred over the others.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  12:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

You know, it's a shame that we can't rate each logo on a 1 to 10 scale instead of just voting for one, because that way the artists who aren't getting many votes would realize that their logos are still outstanding; it's just that one is preferred over the others.

I have to say that I agree with this thought. I love every one of the logos submitted. It means so much that Hawaiian music, slack key, `ukulele and this website mean so much to you that you've decided to put the thought, time and energy in to creating something beautiful. Mahalo, mahalo, mahalo.

As I write this, there are 59 votes with the leading logo having over 50% of the vote. I'd like to make a motion to close the voting. Anyone second... Yeas... Nays?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  01:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I second, although as I mentioned before I'd like to see a second vote with a choice of color combinations for the winnner...I like the logo but don't care for the colors (especially the guitar).

Craig
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  08:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
yea! awesome designs everyone, and congrads to #1 for that outstanding design!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  11:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Yeah, I will second the second. Looks like you got a winner Andy!
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  1:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Andy, could you (with permission from the artists) leave the logos up but add the artists name next to each one? These designs are awesome...it'd be nice to know who did them.

And who knows...maybe someone would like to contact the artist to buy a signed original.

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

beginnerbob
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  3:28:35 PM  Show Profile
aloha everyone! I'm just starting to discover the great world of Ki Ho 'alu!!!
Going to Kauai for my honeymoon in November, and i'm wondering if there's any places/clubs to hear some slack key? This is a great site, and my logo vote goes to #1. If there's anyone out there in the L.A. area, i'd love to hear from you. - beginner bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  10:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Congrats to everyone who contributed logos and to everyone who reviewed them and voted. Today, I've decided to close the voting and am proud to announce a winner - logo #1 which received 34 of 61 votes (56%). It will take some time for me to incorporate the new logo into the site as well as complete the first project - the buttons.

In the meantime, I will be adding the usernames to each logo so we can give credit where it is due. I emailed people offline to check whether it is okay to do so, but please email me if you read this and have any objection to having your name with your logo. It should be noted that the winning logo has been submitted anonymously. I graciously thank this mystery person who has chosen not to be identified. (I promise you that I do not have the skills or creativity so I did not make it. )
quote:
FYI, here are some comments from the artist:
The symbolism is consciously a double-entendre. The obvious: taro plants growing from a musical instrument (which is not readily indentifiable as "just" a guitar, it's symbolic of several stringed instruments of this shape). The two plants, facing apart, signify our diversity, and at the same time, our connections to each other, our music and our love for Hawai`i. They are of the same stock, rooted together, but able to turn to those directions suited for the individual.

The not-so-obvious: the instrument "body" is a pool of life-giving water from which the taro, or kalo, grows forth. The ancients discovered that kalo needed continually refreshed, clear, clean water to live. They invented the "pools" where the water would flow and not stagnate, yet where the flow would not be so severe that the plants couldn't root and connect to the soft, muddy soil beneath. The "pools" were tiered in such a way that one pool would flow into the next, from top to bottom. My "pool" flows into the stalks of the taro, nuturing them with life-giving liquid, changing into the abundant greens of the the taro leaves. The water is the taro and the taro is the water.

Our "taro" of sweet, flowing music grows forth from our "pool" of wire and wood.

I am honored that so many of you decided to participate in this logo project. It's so much fun to see the `ohana get so involved and see the benefit of putting so many heads together.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  1:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Whoever designed the winning logo wins a free CD of their choice, as promised. Email me at craig @ patchett.com to claim your prize...I will make sure you stay anonymous.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  11:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I finally got to posting the usernames next to each image. Mahalo everyone!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000