Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 List of Slack Key learning songs updated
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  6:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I've updated my list of slack key songs that are taught on video, online, or in a book to include Keola's new intermediate online stuff and the Stropes Editions transcriptions (and now two Hapa songs). This brings the count to 177 songs (143 unique). You can find the updated list at:

http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tarosongs.htm

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or omissions. Thanks.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/09/2003 2:07:00 PM

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  12:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Craig,

What a Work! Congratulations.

I did see something you may want to change for consistency's sake (I used to be a database nerd and know that things like variant spellings or terms prevent proper answers to searches). There are synonyms for some tunings. For instance, you have Namaka's Mele as being in Drop C. That is true, but it is a synonym for Leonard's C - as you have other songs in that tuning listed. Also Opihi Momona Nui - Leonard Kwan - G Major 7th is the same as Double Slack (also, Ray Kane calls it Namakelua tuning). So, just choose one, perhaps the majority one.

Also (and I know this is asking you for more work), if the columns were made sortable, as in a spreadsheet, it would make the list more useful (not that it isn't now).

Do you have Hapa's tab book? It is from their first album. There might be some question as to the purity of its "slackkey-ness", but Sarah and I like it (even if we can't play it). If you want to include it, I'll get you the data.

Mahalo for doing this and making it available to us.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  1:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks Reid. All the changes you suggest have been implemented and can be found at the above link...have fun! (Also, I'm more than happy to add the Hapa stuff if you send it to me.)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  1:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Cool Craig! The Hapa songs/tunings can be found at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10 Good for completeness, but that book is impossible to find.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  1:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Craig,

How cool is this!! I love the sort feature, too. Mahalo a nui loa no käu hana maika'i!

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  2:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The two Taro Patch Hapa songs are now in the list that's sorted by song title.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  3:13:20 PM  Show Profile
Exciting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Would it be possible and what would members feel about having a list like this one under the slack key instruction section of the forum so that members can share their experiences with specific songs that they have played or are currently working on learning? It would be fun and motivational to see what other players successes and frustrations and feelings on what they are playing.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  4:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
...members can share their experiences with specific songs that they have played or are currently working on learning...
A "Song" forum could be created in the "Learning" section. I wouldn't add the whole list there at once but would rather have people post each song as it comes up. Open for discussion...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  12:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui, Craig! Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  01:00:57 AM  Show Profile
Okay, now you got my attention.

Hapa would be my definition of slack key....even if it is in a slightly different style.

The book is in fact out of print, for the last few years.
I've access to a few copies I've got laying around somewhere. If anyone is interested gimme a jingle on my e mail.

Until you've played Kaopuiki Aloha...fast....now thats Ki ho'alu...

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  01:08:07 AM  Show Profile
How rude of me,

Craig....awesome listing. Thanks so much for the effort. I've a printout in my 'music binder' now.

General question? I noticed there are quite a few videos out there.
Does anyone know if any of these are produced on DVD? Dont have a tv or a VHS in the house, but I've got a DVD player on the evil friggin laptop. I'd just like to see some of this stuff. Sounds interesting to say the least.

my laptop still mocks me...

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  08:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
hey pif, im interested in the hapa book if still avail, thanks, lsthovson @ attbi.com

Lee

Edited by - kihoalukid on 01/10/2003 08:27:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  10:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
As far as I know, there are no DVD instructional slack key videos currently available. According to the rumorville, Keoki Kahumoku is expected to release his first instructional video on DVD sometime this year. I'm sure there are people here who know a lot more about this project than I do.

Hawaiian music has only recently been available on DVD. Here are some of the ones I know of. Anyone know of any others?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  02:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha Piffle...I tried emailing you regarding the Hapa book but forum email doesn't seem to be working. If you still have copies of the book available I'm interested. Send details to craig @ patchettt.com. Mahalo.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  03:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by cmdrpiffle

Hapa would be my definition of slack key....even if it is in a slightly different style.
I would consider "Kaopuiki Aloha" and "Justin's Lullaby" to be slack key, both in form AND tuning. "Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai" definitely pays tribute to slack key in its opening and ending riffs but not in the rest of the song. "Anjuli" is more jazz than slack key (although it has elements of both). A few of the rest have a slack key tinge here and there, but not enough to qualify themselves as slack key per se. And "Oh My Love" owes more to the Beatles than it does to slack key!

Now don't get me wrong; I think this is a great album. I just don't think it's slack key (except for the two tracks mentioned).

Of course, I am just a skinny haole guy with a big guitar, so what do I know?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha käkou,

Eia ku'u mana'o, 'ae like au me cpatch, 'o nä mele kï hö'alu na Hapa, 'o ia ka mele 'o Justin's Lullaby me ka mele 'o Kaopuiki Aloha. 'O nä mele 'ë a'e, he 'oko'a kona 'ano, he 'ano "hapa" paha!

aloha nö
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000