Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 New guy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  5:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all;
I'm new to the forum and was wondering if there are any in the bay area that get together to play/listen to/learn about slack key and steel music? I took up surfing here in my home town of Pacifica and through that activity I was eventually led to this amazing music. I got a nice Gull guitar (Canadian, I think) with mahogany back and sides and she just rings like a bell...anyway I'm trying to learn this music. I've gotten the first two pieces in Ozzie Kotani's book down pretty well and working on the third...great book!! You can e-mail me at waveriderjon51 @ aol.com. Looking forward to hearing from you and maybe getting together to go to shows/play/listen...if you surf let me know (or if you want to learn...for free)I usually surf Linda Mar in Pacifica but love Santa Cruz and would like to meet some players down there.
Aloha and Mahalo,
Jon

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  11:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey, aloha Jon and welcome to the TaroPatch! I'm also working my way through Ozzie's book (I'm one song ahead of you) but am not from the Bay area any more. You'll find a ton of people here who are though, and lots of opportunities to get together. There are several great teachers in the area too...Patrick Landeza and Raymond Stovich are worth searching for in the members section if you're looking for some lessons. (Unfortunately you just missed George Kahumoku, Jr., who's about to move back to Hawaii from Santa Cruz.)

I'd take you up on the surf lessons if I was still living in Capitola! (Down in San Diego now.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  12:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
Thanks for the welcome and the advice, I'll look into a teacher eventually,I think it's a good idea. If you ever come up for a visit give me an e-mail and I'll get you into the water at Cowell's and just have some fun. I took a look at the Dancing Cat site and saw a lot of slack key concerts in the bay area coming up in Aug. Do any of you all get together as a group to attend these? I think there's a Hawaiian/Pacific Islander festival in S.F. soon also. I belong to the Pedro Point Surf Club(surfpedropoint.org)and we're having our annual Longboard surf invitational on Oct. 18 I'm the M.C. so anyone that would like to come and enjoy the beach the contest and the aloha come on over. It's lots of fun!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  02:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Jon, nice to meet you. My husband and I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains close to Santa Cruz. Locally, we attend ukulele classes with Michelle Kiba and have taken workshops with George Kahumoku Jr. I also take hula classes with Leolani Lowry. Through those events, we have met a lot of really good people, and run into them at shows, etc. It is great fun when we all sit together and share comments. On occasion, we have been fortunate to go to kanikapilas (jams) with other folks from TaroPatch.net.

I recommend checking www.mele.com for Hawaiian concerts, and posting a message if you see something of interest. That would be a good way to meet others. And come and join our get-togethers. We are thouroughly enjoying our musical friends.
(By the way, my hula group is dancing at Hapa's concert August 2 in Santa Cruz, if you are interested, check it out. Andy, Raymond, that is not an advertisement! Just an invitation!) Ciao. Julie
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  03:24:34 AM  Show Profile

Aloha Jon;

Welcome, just consider yourself already member of the Northern Caifornia Slack Key Society, which just had a kanikapila in Mill Valley. Hoepfully, there will be another shortly - Diana has offered to host one in Vacaville, please e komo ma'i. going to the 19 Broaddway concert with Martin Pahinui and George Kuo on August 4? Some of us will be there, look in the front row. <G> I'll be the gray haired lady waving her cane.....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  8:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
You can advertise all you want.
I got problems with people who are not regular contributors just loggin on to advertise, not regulars
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  01:59:42 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cathe, careful with that there cane. You could hit someone on stage! I got to see George, Martin and Aaron Mahi play at the Cocoanut Grove in Sant Cruz last year. It was a really nice nahenahe concert, and the three of them blend so well together. I could pictue myself in their back yard with a Mai Tai. Very sweet. Jon, if you go, look for the fanatics! Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  10:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks folks,
I'll keep the invites in mind for future but I'm planning on seeing the aloha festival at the parade grounds in S.F. on Aug 2nd and 3rd. But I look forward to meeting Taro Patch folk at many opportunities. I try to get to Santa Cruz to surf at least 3-4 times a year. Maybe we could attend an event and hopefully I'll convince my wife and two daughters to tag along.
Jon
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  10:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Jon,
There's a couple of us going to the Aloha festival also. Doug Wong and I plan to meet-up Saturday at some point to play a little(off to the side!); you're welcome to join us; anybody else too.
I'm in the Hawai`ian choir performing at 10:30 Saturday, Na Leo Nahenahe is our name; just look for the tall guy in the back row; dats me. Come say Hi after.
e-mail me and I'll get you my cell number.

Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000