Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 trad. steel player on whidbey island
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kirk
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  8:31:22 PM  Show Profile
aloha.
anybody on whidbey island (washington state) want to jam?
i play traditional acoustic hawaiian steel guitar and double on uku. my wife also plays uku.
mahalo.
kirk

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  8:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kirk,

Wow, wish I still lived there! I'm back in Edmonds. The few guitar chops I had are now very rusty since I've been concentrating on ukulele. I'm back on slack key and hoping to improve. Later??

How far up the island are you?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  11:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kirk,

I'm a fairly new Olympia, WA resident and a beginning slack key guitar player missing people to jam with. How far from here is Whidbey Island?

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  04:09:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kirk & John,

Not slack key, but...

There is a monthly ukulele jam in Seattle on the first Sunday of each month, 2:30 - 4:30. See http://www.kikaman.com/SUPA.htm for the address and other information. Go up a level on that site to find Hawaiian music classes.

South of Seattle, in Burien, Rodney Lopez, Sr. teaches ukulele. Since he is a multi-instrumentalist he may know about slack key happenings as well. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DaUkulele/

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  11:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for the links. I went to check them out but I couldn't figure out how to contact Rodney. The one Yahoo group isn't anywhere near as active or informative as this one.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  1:16:08 PM  Show Profile
John,

Darn, you are right! From the member list, his ID is "ukujazz" and his email is private. I don't even know if he visits his forum very often; it may just be a place to put the calendar. You could try joining and posting a question to him. I don't really know him, just have seen him a number of times. He seems more the silent type, not a forum chatter, but he may well keep an eye on it. The man can play, though! Someone said when he and Peter/Pekelo (of the kikaman site above) were sitting side by side that we were hearing the two best ukulele players in the region. I think they blushed. I have some handouts of his uke arrangements; he used lovely chord sequences. Some are posted on the Yahoo! site.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  11:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again Pauline, maybe I'll try that route.

And thank you too John. I'll try to send Sheryl an email and tell her you sent me. And thanks for the travel-time primer. Though I've only lived here a year, our daughter has been here for six. And we have visited her often during that time so I'm pretty familiar with the Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle routes and travel times. It's all the other areas that we need help with. We haven't been out and about much in the past year with moving from Hawaii, building a new home here, trying to take care of almost 3 acres, etc. but just today we drove out to Long Beach .... beautiful place! Now that I have some time again I'm dusting off my guitars and looking at some of the instruction books that were given to me as going-away presents.

Meanwhile, if you western Washington taropatchers ever do get together again, please let me know.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:17:10 PM  Show Profile
If anyone is interested, I contacted Sheryl at jwn's suggestion and they are starting a new session (beginner) at Highline Community College in Federal Way every Tuesday evening 6:15 to 7:30 from June 24 to August 26. The cost is $75.00. Call Highline Community College Extended Learning, 206 870-3785 if you're interested.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:26:52 PM  Show Profile
John,
I'd love to go. I even did a little follow up when John Nelson mentioned the class before. I'm totally unwilling to drive the length of Seattle through the evening rush hour to arrive at 6:15 pm. I put that behind me when I retired. But darn. Sob.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kirk,

You still here?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  12:15:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Pauline,

I don't blame you. Even though I've only lived here for a year, I know how bad that Seattle traffic can be. Coming from Olympia, I'd be going against the traffic. But I'm not sure I'm ready for a new class yet. Then if you commit to a class, of course you have to make the time to practice enough to make it worthwhile. Even though I too am "retired", I'm not certain I have that kind of time just now.

Aloha,
John

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile
Aloooooha John,

Car pool! Now that's a dandy idea. I can't make it for the entire session. I'd have to drop out after August 5th when another Tuesday night commitment kicks in.

Only Hwy 520 requires 3 persons for a car pool. Which is good, because all I have is a truck. Biggish cab so we can keep the guitars dry.

Anyone else? With a van?

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 06/13/2003 10:49:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
i signed up for the class yesterday after work, i only live about 5-10 minutes away.Sheryl stated in an email several days ago that 8 had signed up so far.anyone else from the "Patch" be there?

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  5:50:52 PM  Show Profile
OK, back to earth. I'm taking guitar lessons right now, locally, and discovering that guitar plus ukulele group lessons demand more time than I've been giving them. I really can't add a third. I let my enthusiasm run away with me. I will stick with my local classes for now.

I'm sorry John. I hope you can find someone else to carpool with.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  8:39:38 PM  Show Profile
I did a test run from Olympia to the Highline Community College exit about a week ago and just happened to pick a bad day. Don't know what the problem was but a trip that should have taken maybe an hour at the most took almost two. We crawled bumper-to-bumper on I-5 North at 5 mph from Lakewood till the water park. As much as I love slack key, I'd hate to have to do that every week for 10 weeks. I'll just hope that in the future, something comes up closer to where I live. Maybe someone who's taking the class can post something about it. I believe it starts this week.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  9:36:54 PM  Show Profile
We need a host in Federal Way or even Fife. And weekends would be better.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000