Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Song Lyrics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  11:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e hui,

Talk about singing and playing around a campfire on the beach got me to remembering one we did with the Wai`ehu Sons at Waihe'e Beach Park. It is Manuela Boy and is just about the ultimate Hawaiian campfire song. Sarah and I learned some of the verses that night from the Browns and collected as many others as we could. Most recordings, and there are several, only play a few verses. There may be many more - if you know any not here, please add them. The slack key guitar music for the song, in tab, is in Ozzie's book. BTW, H.V.B. stands for Hawaiian Visitors Bureau. Some versions say "HPD", but I can't imagine Mama as a cop :-0 Also, Gabby doesn't say "make" in his version of the stew verse, he says "fut", but he was kolohe, yeah.

Manuela Boy (traditional)

Lyrics from J.Wong and Gabby Pahinui and the Browns ?anybody else?

Hui:
Manuela Boy, my dear boy, you no mo' hilahila
No mo' five cents, no mo' house
You go 'A'ala Paka hiamoe

Bradda works for da big hotel, sistah teaches school
Mama works for da H.V.B.
Papa makes his money shooting pool

Hui

Da tourists love filet mignon, and caviar it's true
But dey neva live till dey wen taste
Papa make his ole Hawaiian stew

Hui/Verse:
Manuela Boy, my dear boy, you no mo' hilahila,
No mo' sweetbread, no mo' wine
You go 'A'ala Pake hiamoe

Tutu works in the taro patch, gran'ma makes the poi
Chili pepper water and beef stew rice
Pipikaula on da side no ka oi

Hui

Junior Boy go down to da beach, spock da wahines in bikinis
He wear dark glasses, coconut hat
You neva know where his eyeballs go

Hui

I want to marry this wahine I know, her name is Haunani Ho
I ask my papa but he say "No,
"Haunani is your sister but your mama don' know"

Hui

I tol' my mama what my papa wen say, she say "Son, you no pilikia,
"You can marry Haunani Ho
"Your papa not your papa but your papa don' know"

Pau

Enjoy,

...Reid

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  12:44:30 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

Thanks for the lyrics. A fine lady named Patsy taught us some other lyrics recently. I'll dig them out and post them if Brudda Chrispy doesn't do it first.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  3:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

After the April Aloha Music Camp weekend I went looking on the net for the words and music to "Hawaiian Lullaby" and I found it and some other good sites.
http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/cgi/disp.cgi?pid=sg&sg=lj/hawaiian_lullaby.txt
http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/cgi/disp.cgi?pid=popsongs
http://www.hawaii-music.com/sheetmusic.shtml
Hope they are some lyrics that you all might be interested in.

Aloha, Kitty
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2002 :  02:01:37 AM  Show Profile
You probably know of it, but I think Keali'i Reichel's version of Hawaiian Lullaby makes my heart want to burst open
Raymond

quote:

Aloha all,

After the April Aloha Music Camp weekend I went looking on the net for the words and music to "Hawaiian Lullaby" and I found it and some other good sites.
http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/cgi/disp.cgi?pid=sg&sg=lj/hawaiian_lullaby.txt
http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/cgi/disp.cgi?pid=popsongs
http://www.hawaii-music.com/sheetmusic.shtml
Hope they are some lyrics that you all might be interested in.

Aloha, Kitty

Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2002 :  6:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Raymond,
I agree that Keali'i's version is a special one and I like it, too. Originally I was looking for the cords so maybe David could learn to play it. I learned the hula to it at the Aloha Music Camp weekend this April and love the feeling of the song in the dance. Maybe I'll just have to learn the hula to Keali'i's - I have some friends in his halau.
Malama pono, Kitty

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  2:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Here are Patsy's "Manuela Boy" lyrics, plus chords. Some of her chords had superscripts, I'll show them as, e.g., D7-2. I'm guessing it tells you to play the D7 down around the 2nd fret, but Patsy played 'ukulele, so it may mean something else. She tried to explain the lyrics. I think we settled on "dysfunctional family".

C
Manuela Boy, my dear boy,

You no more hila hila
G7
No more five cents, no more house
                  C
Go Aala Paka hia moi. (VAMP) D7-2,G7-2,C4

C
Papa works for the stevedore

Mama makes the leis
G7
Sister goes with the haole boy
                   C 
Come home any old time. (VAMP)

C
Grandpa works in the taro patch

Grandma pounds the poi
G7
Sister goes with the sailor boy
             C
Brother go awana.  (VAMP)

C
Papa come home see mama

Mama drink the oke
G7
Papa burn up with mama
                 C
Give mama black eye.   (VAMP) LONG ENDING

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  5:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Now that's the version I remember my grandma singing when I was a kid

How 'bout this additional verse:

Brother takes the H.R.T.
Goes downtown Honolulu
Stops at the Glades, but no huhu
Brother isn't brother he's a big mahu.

Everybody sing...

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  6:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The two verses that inspired me to learn this one:

I want to marry this wahine I know
Her name is Haunani Ho
I told my papa and he said no
Haunani is your sister but your mama don't know

I told my mama what my papa had said
She said no hila hila
You can marry Haunani Ho
Your papa's not your papa but your papa don't know

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Ooooops, Reid had those two in his first post!!

Nevah min'

Fran

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  01:25:41 AM  Show Profile
If you're looking for the music to Hawaiian Lullaby, the original Peter Moon/ Hector Venegas music & lyrics can be found in Warner Bros, Publication, "The Complete Hawaiian Music Collection." It was written in G, which makes it easy in Taro Patch (Keali'i transposed it to Eb.) I have a tabbed out arrangement of Keali'i's medley in Taro Patch. It was done about 2 years ago and is a bit embarrasing for me now. I don't want wide distribution for that reason. At this point I don't have enough extra time/energy to redo it any better. Nonetheless, it might be a staring point for you. Email me at LSRS @ ix.netcom.com with your mailing address if yu want a copy.
Raymond

quote:

Hi Raymond,
I agree that Keali'i's version is a special one and I like it, too. Originally I was looking for the cords so maybe David could learn to play it. I learned the hula to it at the Aloha Music Camp weekend this April and love the feeling of the song in the dance. Maybe I'll just have to learn the hula to Keali'i's - I have some friends in his halau.
Malama pono, Kitty

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  10:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Two Mysteries (mostly) Solved

Sarah really clarified these puzzles by her research, but she has a day job and doesn't post often, so I'll tell you about them for her. They involve lyrics that are, in some way, peculiar.

The first is the song "Pili Pili Poi". Sonny Chillingworth plays and sings it (along with other marvelous songs) on the CD "Sonny" (Mahalo Records - MSCD 6001). Sarah translated most of the lyrics and it is about a person (woman) who rejects a lover with bitter sarcasm. The puzzle was the title and line: "Pili pili poi pili salasala, `ea. On the face of it pili pili poi means "sticky, sticky poi" and you could make all sorts of guesses as to what that means - and the kaona might be right, too. But the main meaning would then be nonsensical. So Sarah asked and asked until, for a brief time, the lyrics appeared on huapla.org. And then it became clear: Pili Pili Poi is a transliteration from English to Hawaiian of "Billy, Billy Boy". Things ain't ever what they seem. For some reason, the lyrics disappeared from huapala very rapidly.

The second puzzle is a slew of geographical blunders in the song "Hoe Hoe Na Wa`a" ("Kawaihae") It is a mele pana that speaks of a tour around many of the islands and uses town and wharf names to describe a place. But, Kawaihae is *not* the wharf of Hilo, Mahukona is not at Miloli`i, and there are other places that are far apart in other verses. (We have visited them all and can tell you from personal experience :-) So, Sarah got a wonderful book, called "He Aloha Moku o Keawe" by Kihei de Silva which is a fascinating, well researched, and well written history and analysis of 18 songs concerning the Big Island. de Silva solves the puzzle by noting that the composer was a 17 year old girl, Emma Paishon, who had never been to Hawai`i until 1924. She was Hawaiian, but born in `Iosepa, Utah - a colony of Hawaiians in the desert, 75 miles from Salt Lake City, in Skull Valley, and next to an Indian reservation. The history of this town, founded in 1889 and virtually abandoned in 1917 (so de Silva's time line is a bit in question, unless Emma lived somewhere else for a few years) can be found, surprisingly, at:

http://www.kued.org/productions/polynesian/history/

The entire site is devoted to "The Polynesian Gift to Utah" and is fascinating in itself.

So, Emma, although talented and enthusiastic, got a lot of her ancestral homeland confused. In addition, a wa`a is often a symbol for a woman's body in songs and the rythmic paddling strokes of "hoe, hoe" have obvious meaning. The song is most often sung in a kolohe way and it is amusing to think of a 17 year old Mormon girl writing it.

BTW, I'll try to find time to write a short review of the book.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  11:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. I'm not impartial, but I'm having a great time here. And learning a lot too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  6:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Fascinating! Mahalo nui Reid.

Duke

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2002 :  10:47:33 AM  Show Profile

Alright! It's a song about me!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2002 :  2:47:27 PM  Show Profile
Ho Bill!

No way do you want to be *this* Billy Boy. The Lady singing says that the only place he will ever make love will be on top of lauhala with thorns and that she hopes that his only partners will have scaly skin from drinking too much `awa! Mo' bettah you change your name :-) or, at least make sure the ladies know which Billy you are.

E malama pono (really!)

Reid

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000