Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 PA systems
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  6:26:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking about purchasing a moderately priced PA system and don't know much about what specs I should be weighing. The application will be for small to moderate sized venues (like a club, maybe some outdoor before a small crowd). Can anyone out there offer any tips before I purchase? I want to be able to connect two mics and my guitar so maybe four channel mixer would be fine, but I'm thinking six just to have the flexibility.

Here's a couple of packages I'm looking at, if anyone has any thoughts about them or other suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Carvin 620-805 http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=620-805&P1=SYS1

Fender Passport http://www.fenderaudio.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0692001003

I like the portability of the Fender so I'm sort of leaning towards it.

Duke

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  7:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Duke,

Can you wait a few days? We are the current hanai parents of an older 4 channel Carvin, single speaker PA, that a friend owns and it is not so wonderful. We are experimenting with sound reinforcement, so I am not the world's expert.

However, I know touring musicians who are the world's experts ( a few from NY, a few from Nashville) and I will take the pulse. Some of these folks do house concerts as well as outdoor and concert venues, so they really do know.

Let me get back to you. AND, I am certain that there are choke experts right here that will chime in.

...Reid

PS. I do know that the AER Cube is worth looking at 'cause Sarah played through one (locally) and it was awesome. Sounds like the guitar or whatever you want it to sound like.

Edited by - Reid on 08/08/2003 7:22:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  7:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid--

Mahalo for checking this out for me! I'm not in a rush, so I'll be watching for your post.

Duke

Edited by - duke on 08/08/2003 7:40:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  01:47:35 AM  Show Profile

George Kahumoku uses a Carvin "Stage Mate" S400
for his small gigs. This thing has four channels
of mixer built into the main cabinet and you can
add a second speaker to make it cover a reasonable
audience (like up to a 150 person space). The
sound is clean and reasonable for the price. If
you want more channels or higher power I would lean
toward a Mackie system that is more costly but still
worth the money. After hearing and seeing George
use this little Carvin, I ended up getting one as a
Christmas Present and it will work fine for Cynthia
and I as it will handle the two vocal mics and two
instruments just fine. "Just the perfect system for
rest homes and infirmaries.. heh... heh.. "

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  11:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I have seen John Keawe use something that looks a lot like that fender unit here on the Big Island. It sure is easy to set up!
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  10:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I wish Prof. Bose would invent a "for real" compact sound system that musicians could utilize without breaking a sweat. I carried ( I did use a hand truck) a Carvin stage mate with mics, speaker cords, stands and guitars to a "Tapa Tower" gig at the Hilton Hawaiian Village last weekend and ended up sweating like a race horse. The sound system worked fine but the return trip to my truck was not so fun. So life goes for the starving (we'll they did feed me) musician.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  12:29:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm a relatively new member of the forum and still on the ground floor with respect to my "slack key" skills. However, I'm a veteran guitarist with a considerable array of pro audio equipment including a PA system.

Although I'm not familiar with the Carvin or Fender gear cited here, I've got loads of Fender amps in my studio for 'surf' sounds (e.g., Deluxe Reverb, Showman Reverb, etc.), and they're great, albeit a bit noisey.

In any event, for what it's worth, my current PA system (although originally intended for a keyboard application) is now being used quite nicely to amp (in stereo) a single mike, and a vintage Takamine currently equipped with a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup and a Piezo bridge transducer (although I'd much prefer a Pendulum Audio rig).

Anywho . . . the system is comprised of a Crown CE-2000 (1000 watt per side) solid state amp and an Akai 6-channel, 4-track recording analog mixer (MG-614) with parametric EQ all plumbed (through a DBX crossover, Lexicon PCM-91 Reverb and TC Electronics 2290 Digital Delay) to two (15", 3-way) JBL-415 satellites, and a single JBL (18", SP418) powered sub-woofer.

The chimes, harmonics and other 'highs' so uniquely characteristic of traditional slack key tunings are absolutely "stellar", and the 'sub' nicely showcases the low-end emanating from the cables that I prefer to play at the 6th string (i.e., 0.052"-0.060").

The cost of the entire system was about $4200.00 U.S., and I worked nights and weekends fo-evah to get it! But it was well-well worth it. Other than the speakers, it's all contained in a single Mesa-Boogie portable rack unit, and set-up is about a 15-minute proposition.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  01:36:15 AM  Show Profile
For what it's worth ---
I looked at different PA systems and amps and finally settled on California Blond. A wonderful amp - lots of power -- fantastic sound -- I've use it on low in a small restaurant, and cranked up at a lawn party - excellent fidelity to my guitar sound -- I play a classical (nylon) guitar, so most guitar amps don't work as well - this one is made for mylon string instruments. For stell, I was impressed with AER and Shanendoah. All three are worth the look - 2 channel so you can use guitar and mic, and only carry 1 box.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  04:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Many thanks for all the input here. It's all helpful.

Konabob: I sent an email to John Keawe and you were right, he does use the Fender Passport. He seems happy with it.

Mahalo nui
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  11:41:37 AM  Show Profile
I just want to save face :-) by saying that I *did* do what I promised for Duke. But the stuff I found out was so long that I sent it to Duke via 2 emails. It is much too long to post here, but basically, the answer was that it was more appropriate for his intended uses to go with separates, rather than a packaged system. Besides, some of the components he already has (like some JBL equipment) can fit well in his final setup.

Raymond's suggestions got very good reviews for small, high quality, 2 channel portables.

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  2:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again, Reid. The last information about the JBLs was really useful and encouraging. Kinda like forgetting you have a Palani Vaughn CD in your collection and then hearing a good song on the radio whilst on Maui :) So...,I'll probably just build on this, it's 1/3 of the battle.

Best to you and Sarah

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  12:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Duke, sounds like you are going to go with the "component" PA system rather than an "all in one". One thing I forgot to mention about the Carvin Stage Mate is that it is a Battery and/or AC powered unit so you can use it when there is NO AC POWER AVAILABLE (like right now on the east coast). The sealed Lead Acid (Gel Cell) battery inside makes it heavier than those that do not have internal batteries, but it can be very useful when you are down at the beach. In fact, this Carvin was the ONLY battery powered 4-Channel unit that I was able to find. I also have suitable components to use for a larger audience event including separate speakers, separate amps, separate mixer, separate equalizers, separate compressors, separate verbs, etc., but this is just TOO MUCH JUNK to haul around all the time!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  01:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The Fender Passport PD-250 comes with two speakers and an optional battery. The battery isn't built-in, but I consider that an advantage (you can buy more than one for longer gigs).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/16/2003 12:42:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  1:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Laurence,

quote:
the Carvin Stage Mate is that it is a Battery and/or AC powered unit so you can use it when there is NO AC POWER AVAILABLE (like right now on the east coast)

Would this be what George K. has? I ask because last night at his and Keoki's *wonderful* concert in Deep River, CT, George used a battery powered system, and it saved the day at the concert until the power finally came back on (after intermission). George told me he always travels with the battery-powered system, and takes two motorcycle batteries with him!

It certainly served him well last night, in the amazing blackout event of 2003

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  12:19:09 AM  Show Profile
Sarah,

Aye, George generally travels with a Carvin Stage Mate and it is also what he primarily uses at his Maui workshop. I guess the Carvin hand-me-down that you have is not the same. This unit has fairly clean preamps and as a result is good to record from. I do not know about older Carvin stuff as I am kind of new to the Carvin brand. My studio is mostly equipped with Mackie stuff and in the old daze I have used even much fancier equipment (but I did not have to buy it).

I have augmented my Stage Mate with some of those Mixer D.I. boxes (like the Highlander) so I can push it to 6 channels if need be. Anything more than that and I would have to use my studio gear for a live gig. Since I can count all the live gigs in the last year on the fingers of one hand, I do not think this is a problem!!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  5:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hello people, does anyone have any more feedback on the Fender passport series of
Portable Sound Systems? I'm looking to buy one but I don't see anyone using these units around town. Does anyone know if speaker stands can be used on every Fender passport model? Thank you for your time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000