Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 CDs with Weissenborns?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  9:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
I need some help finding some CD's of modern recordings with mostly solo or prominent Weissenborn, Kona, or similar acoustic lap slide guitar, preferrably Hawaiian music, but any good, laid-back,(non-rock or rap)music will be welcome.
The Weissenborn is a relatively new discovery (solo sound) for me, and I want to hear lots more. Christiaan Oyens (a talented musician) is responsible for the great introduction on his sound clip Mississippi No Sertao(take a listen on his website). I am waiting for his first CD to come out, but now that I have heard the sound, I need more! I know I want a Weissie, or copy to play too! Any opinions about the guitars are welcome, too.
I love slack key also, of which there seems to be many good recordings of solo instrumental, or with some singing, but with lots of beautiful guitar on them.
So far, I'm coming up empty on similar CDs for Weissenborn or Kona acoustic lap style.
Can anyone help? Thanks for all,

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 08/13/2003 02:49:20 AM

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  01:25:38 AM  Show Profile
I can think of three CD's immediately off hand that feature slack key and steel. Bob Brozman's two CD's with Led Kaapana are good CD's. "Kika Kila Meets Ki Ho'alu," the first album, has the most traditional Hawaiian tunes. Bob plays a variety of steel guitars - old Weissenborns, new Bear Creeks (hands down the best new instruments) and some Nationals. "In The Saddle" features more of their own compositions. I've only heard one cut from his album with Cyril Pahinui, "Hawaiian Cowboy," and it's very "hot."

Bear with me, I'm pretty biased towards Bob.

"Tone Poems III" with Bob, Mike Auldridge and David Grisman features a wide variety of steel guitars (both wooden and resophonic).
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  02:31:51 AM  Show Profile
John B:
Thank you John, I am familiar with Bob and his great talents, as well as his partners(two of my favorites, Led and Cyril, as well as Moses K). Those CDs are on my to get list! In fact I have Bob's Learn Traditional Hawaiian guitar video.
But for now, I want to concentrate on the Weissie sound and wondered if there were any CD's that were mainly this instrument. Overall, I like the slow and easy sounds, and especially the wooden sound. Although, there is some Brozman National stuff that stands out as nothing short of amazing, as only he can weave! Wonderful!
But there is so much Hawaiian music that I like, that isn't exactly my thing, that I thought it would be better if I concentrated on finding my preferred sounds now.
As always, all help and points of view are welcomed and appreciated! Mahalo!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 08/13/2003 02:38:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  10:50:40 AM  Show Profile
You might want to post this inquiry to the forum at www.hsga.org, or ask my friend John Ely -- he's a steel player in Hawai`i -- at his website: http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  5:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Also check out Zubot and Dawson at www.zubotanddawson.com - Steve Dawson is nothing short of incredible. Steve's also got some solo stuff out. Unfortunately, the CDs are kind of pricy (ordering from Canada). Steve also plays all the lap stuff on Kelly Joe Phelps' latest CD, "Slingshot Professionals."
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  12:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui loa, Auntie Maria
Mahalo nui loa, John B

I will look at these websites! It sounds like there may be some
great music out there, it just takes a few nice friends to help find them!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  01:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I second John's recommendations of the Brozman/Kaapana and Brozman/Pahinui CDs. I have them both and really enjoy them. There's some really sweet music on those CD. By the way, on the "Kika Kila.." CD Brozman plays a Weissenborn or Bear Creek Kona on 9 out of 16 tracks. On "Four Hands..." 11 out of 16 tracks are a Weissenborn or Kona. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

The Tone Poems III is also an excellent CD if you're interested in acoustic lap steel. It's part of a series put out by Acoustic Disc that highlights vintage acoustic instruments. It comes with a fat color booklet with nice pictures of the instruments and detailed liner notes. It's worth it just for the booklet, but it also has a really nice selection of tunes and very tasteful playing. All the tunes are duos or trios so you can really hear the sound of the instruments. The first four tracks feature various wood bodied lap steels - a Knutsen, Weissenborns, Konas and a Martin Hawaiian guitar.

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 08/17/2003 01:37:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  01:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Gary!
You have given me some good information about the specifics on those CD's, and I appreciate it all. I have heard the excerpts they have on those and they are good, thank you. They are on my to buy list!
If ever you hear of a solo weissenborn or kona cd, please let me know. That is the sound I really want to hear the most. It's such a gentle sound, that it kind of gets overshadowed by other instruments sometimes.
Mahalo to all, you people are great!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  09:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Bluespiderweb,

Just for fun, check out this video clip of the superb Greg Sardinha playing a solo bit in "He Wehi No Ke Kai" -- this is from Mike Ka'awa's website. Go to the bottom of the page of photos, and on the right, is a link to the little movie of Greg.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/hwnboy/photos.html

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  03:34:09 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Sarah,
Mahalo nui loa for that video, Sarah! Greg sure knows his way aroud the fretboard! He can play leis around me! It's always good to have something to aspire to, wouldn't you agree?

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
Some other choices include specific songs on most of Jerry Douglas' more recent albums, some of Ben Harper's music (doesn't meet the "non-rock" requirement, though) and be sure to check out the new Acoustic Guitar magazine. There is a feature article on three players that all use Weissenborns in their music. Kelly Joe Phelps doesn't play Weissenborns but he does play raised-nut, non-resonator acoustic guitar lap-style. If you are exploring lap styles, his music is definitely worth listening to.

Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  9:59:30 PM  Show Profile
Hello and thank you Jim,
I am familiar with Jerry's music and like him, have listened to Ben's and thought there was not enough guitar, and am considering writing to Kelly Joe to persuade him to convert to Hawaiian music. He is my favorite lap style player, but unfortunately I can't quite connect with the blues as readily as Hawaiian. Mahalo!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  4:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
Barry,
If you really want to compare the sounds, try Grisman's Tone Poems III. It has Brozman, Mike Auldridge and Grisman playing the most amazing collection of lap-style instruments, and the recording quality is superb.
Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000