Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Mandolin?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  02:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Slack key mandolin? You betcha! For a sample, played by a very well-known slack key artist, try the link below (a free copy of the full MP3 goes to the first person to correctly identify the artist):

http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/mandolinslack.mp3

In fact, in Mika`ele McLellan's article titled Slack Key History and Speculation, he writes:

quote:
Mandolins and violins are usually tuned in fifths. Both of them a part of Hawaiian tradition. Since we slipped to mandolins, you should know that the duet of slack key guitar and mandolin was reported to be a favored small group about the turn of the century in Hawaii. (Lucky Luck, personnel conversation, about 1960).

Interesting stuff!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  11:34:06 AM  Show Profile
From the style and sound of the recording I'd have to guess John Almeida.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  1:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Nope.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  3:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
I know there was mandolin playing going on in Gabby's circle of musicians. I certainly recall multi-instrumetalists Ry Cooder and perhaps David Lindley involved playing with Gabby on mandolin, but neither are noted as slack key artists and were kind of on the fringes. Don't think that Atta ever played one. I do know that Gabby owed a mandolin ... boy this is a long shot.

Let's see, it's not Peter Medieros (Eagerly awaiting his book!!!!) My vote is for one of the most musical men to have ever blessed the world with his birth .. Gabby.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  3:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Nope, but good reasoning!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  3:18:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm guessing Peter Moon. He can play everything.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  3:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sorry. Think '60s.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  7:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
I don't know the artist but your clip forced me to get out my old mandolin and play along. Interesting to note that this is played in the key of Bb which seems to be an odd key until I realized the the hawaiian style runs fall out very nicely on the fingerboard.

Of course the mandolin isn't actually "slacked" but rather it is being played hawaiian style and would sound great jamming with slack key guitars and ukes.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  12:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Two years ago I bought an old Mandolin that had been taken out of Russia in the 60's. Not knowing how to play it, I brought it to Nancy Sweeney's and George Kahumoku's house for a party. I asked him if he could play it, he said: "of course", took the thing, tuned it and played it during the whole the kanikapila. It added another dimension to the ukuleles and guitars, and it was great fun listening to him. But I don't think that's him on the clip. Interesting...
Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  12:36:07 AM  Show Profile
What about Eddie Kamae?
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  12:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Or Sonny?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  12:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Nope, nope, and nope! Think very early '60s, brand new label, second LP.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/29/2003 01:08:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  01:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Ray Kane?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  02:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Getting warmer.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  02:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Eddie Bush
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  02:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Colder.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000