Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 12 string taro patch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmilke
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  11:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha to everyone. Thankyou all for letting me watch and learn, I have been reading other people's posts for quite some time and am going to jump in. I have never owned a 12 string before, but I've got a 12 string Blueridge coming and don't know how to tune it. Can someone help out? Thanks, John

I play every day.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  11:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome John,

I never strung up a 12-string guitar from scratch. Always replaced the strings so I changed them one at a time.

I read this somewhere... You can think of twelve-string tuning as:

eE-aA-dD-gG-bb-ee

where the combinations of lower-case and upper case letters mean that the strings are tuned an octave apart, and the pairs of lower-case letters mean that those strings are tuned to the same note ("in unison" is the technical term).

Check this link: 12 String Guitar Tuner

From there, taro patch would be:
dD-gG-dD-gG-bb-dd

Due to the increased tension of 12 strings, it is often recommended to tune down a half to whole step.

One other thing that I've read but never tried is that you can swap your bass strings so that it is easier to hit the larger string bass note when finger picking. This would be Dd-Gg-Dd-gG-bb-dd. This would require some adjustment to or maybe even a new nut. That's why I never tried it, but it made sense when I read it.

Congrats on the new guitar!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  1:28:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
One other thing that I've read but never tried is that you can swap your bass strings so that it is easier to hit the larger string bass note when finger picking. This would be Dd-Gg-Dd-gG-bb-dd. This would require some adjustment to or maybe even a new nut. That's why I never tried it, but it made sense when I read it.

Don Narup (socalslackeysociety) has done this on his 12 string(s). Maybe he can give his opinions.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000