Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 ATTENTION! Conflict in Camps 2004
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  01:15:08 AM  Show Profile
Yikes, just what I was hoping would not happen! did...

George Kahumoku seems to have scheduled:
1. Ukulele workshop on Maui from June 14 until June 21
2. Slack Key workshop on Maui from June 21st through June 27, which is the scheduled date for the Maui Slack Key Festival, where George takes his entire workshop on stage for a couple of numbers

Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp is scheduled on Molokai from June 20 through 26

If there is anyone else out there who was hoping to go to both camps, good luck. I am really bothered by this turn of events and wish there were some way to get it to all go my way, but looks like we have some difficult choices. Although originally the camps were to happen in tandem, not in parallel, the Festival throws everyting out of whack, because it is later next year than previous years. Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 09/12/2003 01:20:22 AM

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  01:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Julie:
As soon as I heard this news, I flashed a message to Geroge and Nancy - it doesn't make much sense to have the 'ukulele and slack key workshops during different weeks, does it? Lots of folks have the same problem you and Larry would, having to go to different ones. The Auntie-sistahs, for instance <G>.
I'm hoping that it's a typo or something, and not two whole weeks.......will post as soon as I have a response.
Ou hui hou....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  1:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Both Dennis Lake and I had already booked rooms at the Mauian and we had talked our wives into coming with us for the week.

With the new schedule, Dennis will be working at the Beamers Camp, and so his wife is not going to Maui - so my wife is not going, so I probably won't be going either...

I talked to Milton Lau yesterday (Slack Key Festival organizer) and
he told me they had locked in the dates of the 2004 Maui Festival the week after the 2003 Festival was over.

Well, there is always next year. By the way, If you like the Big Island, check out the Waimea ‘Ukulele and Slack Key Institute:
http://www.kahilutheatre.org/ukulele.htm
November 6 through 10. Featuring Led Kaapana and Dennis Kamakahi and son David!!!

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  2:27:16 PM  Show Profile
What is the probability that two blind flies, flying alone in a large room, will run into each other?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

annie
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  2:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit annie's Homepage
Hi Everyone,
I agree that it's a real shame it worked out this way. Let's just keep in mind how blessed we are if this is the hardest decision any one of us has to make this year.
xxoxannie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  2:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
oh gosh. this could cause one - or both! - of the camps to be cancelled.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  9:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Ohana's

This is jus "MY FEELING's" about next year's camp's. It seem's like both camp's are focusing on the same thing, and that is to share the Hawaiian culture with everyone.

Which ever camp you go, you will basicly be doing almost the same thing, jus the teaching style will be a little different but, you'll come out of the camp's learning what you came here for, And that is to learn "MORE" about the "CULTURE".

I know which ever camp you decide to go, Everything will be "PONO"!..... It's like going to 2 different hawaiian luau's you'll see almost the same type of food, maybe the flavor's a little different, But you will walk out filled and contented.

Again that is jus my feeling's. If i had to fly to the mainland and attend a camp i would probably be in the same boat as you...which one to go. And the answer?

Which ever you choose, all will be "PONO"

"GOOD LUCK to YOU ALL"

Malama Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  9:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Okay, a moment of clarity.

Life is a biatch, war is hell, and napalm sticks...

anyway....

It is unfortunate that things had to overlap. When trying to organize something like this, schedules and promises must sometimes be made more than a year in advance. It is not at all easy for the folks organizing the events.

We often want all things at all times. Sometimes it is not to be.

That DOES NOT take away from the things we are able to experience.

Mark and Annie have in my opinion a hell of an exciting new location, were talking shacks on the beach! All you need is a tiki lamp and a guitar! Oh, wait a minute...it is that. And no doubt more.

Sometimes, to progress, things have to change a bit. We all have to step out of the 'norm' and the comfort zone to experience someting different.

Personally, if I had no hands, I would still make it to Mark and Keolas camp if I could.

Unfortunately, I've never met George. No doubt, I would love time spent with him as well. (and I friggin live in Santa Cruz..go figure)

Fact is, in my opinion, nothing needs be cancelled. There are an awful lot more people than ever make it on this site who would be thrilled for a lifetime to make it to just one of those venues.

I am one of those folks. If some of us can't make it to more than one venue on the same ticket...make where you go the best place for yourself to be.

Perhaps at a later time, things will line up again and folks can get their moneys worth on the same airline ticket.

Of course, it will, things are always dynamic.

If some of us at this Ohana have to go to different places next summer....then we'll just compare stories on this site!

All that and more,

with Aloha,

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  10:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
AMC and the Kahumoku workshop going on at the same time is a tough one. It is unfortunate how the planets have aligned this time around.

Seeing the positive, it is nice to see how passionate everyone is about slack key and its camps... those who have expressed genuine concern and have tried to find a solution. It was also very nice to hear Kevin and piffle's positive point of views too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  11:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i suppose my worry is that there is a limited population interested in slack key camps. you need a certain number of attendees to break even.

but, i'm not doing the budget (pshew!) so i'll just wait and see what happens...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  11:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, so here's the solution...George does all his classes in the morning and lets the afternoons be free time. Keoki gives the morning as free time and does everything in the afternoon. Evenings alternate. A helicopter shuttles dual-campers from one location to the other.

Stay tuned...next I'll post a solution to world peace.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  12:02:15 AM  Show Profile
Some people like their peas in a cream sauce, others like them all crunch with just a touch of butter. Me? no matter what flavor ... Iranian, Palestinian, Bosnia, French, Hawaiian ... world peas works for me.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  12:12:01 AM  Show Profile
On a more serious note, I wouls like to echo Kevin's comments from a different perspective. One of the most influential teachers I ever studied with used to speak about "spiritual materialism." It's just like physical materialism, only you try to store up and amass spiritual things - learnings, insights, feelings, awarenesses, etc. I once told him that I regretted not meeting him earlier. He looked me straight in the eyes, smiled and said, "Thank you for the compliment, but you know in your heart, as well as I do, that you didn't even have to meet me once to get enlightened. Let the seed that was planted in your heart blossom forth - that's all you need."
So I get the disappointment I'm hearing in this thread. I just found out that Ozzie is coming to CA on the same dates that I'm going to HI -- a major disappointment for me - but ... soon as I go off line, I'm gonna pick up my guitar and play some slack key. Don't care if no one hears it. Tree in the forest falls wether there's anyone there to hear it or not. The slack goes on. Everyday you will have a chance to share your Aloha with someone else. What more you need?
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  02:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
When is Ozzie coming to CA?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/05/2003 02:50:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  3:41:46 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, from what I know, he's not doing any teaching - just coming out to do a recording.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  7:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
"/What more do you need?"

e Raymond, how bout one small Hawai'ian island? I tink Choyam Trungpa would have agreed I could be authentically present there, no, yeah?

Bwop
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000