Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Trivia #4
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  3:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Name one(the one I'm thinking of!) dinstinctive characterisitic of Dennis Kamakahi's thumb pattern. Winner might get some kine prize, maybe, some day.

Ross

Remember that you too can be a slack-key quizzmaster. jus' press the keyboard.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  3:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Jus` press the keyboard...I like that. I'm going to try loosening all the keys on mine and see if it makes typing any more relaxing. (Right now I'm typing in the key of B#...it makes me sound smarter.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

OglavyandTuglavy
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  3:15:10 PM  Show Profile
I like that Craig, you guys are great.
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  04:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
OK, I been thinking, maybe other players do this but I haven't caught it, so....

The answer is:

Dennis goes all the way down to the third string with his thumb sometimes.

How 'bout it; is he alone in this?

Ross, jus' pressin' my head to the pillow, asaurus
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  10:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
When Ledward plays Radio Hula, I hear a double G alternating bass. That is, I think his thumb is hitting the 3rd string G. I'm pretty sure he sometimes does that on G chords in general.

With Dennis, I was watching his thumb at the Kahumoku camp last June. Part of the reason, I think, is that Dennis is playing in C Mauna Loa tuning. I asked him when he does he use the 3rd string versus not and he answered something to the effect that it's just automatic - he doesn't even think about it.

I'm sure the same thing with Led. They do not really think about it but it adds variation, a different sound.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Ozzie uses his thumb on the 3rd string when he is playing in C6 tuning and Leonard used it on the 3rd in "Nahehahe". If you win the Sept. Red book drawing, you can see for yourself on the tab :-)

I think it is mostly a function of having the 3rd string being an octave above either the 6th or the 5th string (rather than the 4th as in Taro Patch), depending on the tuning - but mostly in some C variant.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  01:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I guess I unleash my thumb and let it wander.
I loved the story Dennis Kamakahi told a couple weeks ago about Uncle Fred Punahou gradually lowering his guitar down to his feet...and playin' with da toes brah!
Try dat at home! (wash da feet first, yeah?)

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  01:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by rossasaurus

...and playin' with da toes brah!
Try dat at home! (wash da feet first, yeah?)

Or else wash the guitar after! Lu`au feet... know the song?

My lu`au feet likes to be carefree
I don't like shoes, I just leave them be
My lu`au feet are so big and wide
Toes spread wide it's really hard to hide...

Hope I got the words right.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  01:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You guys need to switch to decaf. Speaking of which, true story: the lady in front of me at Starbucks a while back orders a decaf nonfat latte then asks the barista if there's a name for that. Without missing a beat, the guy says: "Yes, a 'Why Bother?'"

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/06/2003 02:10:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000