Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Best source for lyrics and melodies?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  8:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I'm looking for the best source for lyrics and melodies to Hawaiian songs, online or in print. Actually, in print is probably better, as I don't know how popular the songs I'm looking for are. Most of the songs I'm looking for are from recordings I have from the 20's, 30's and 40's. Some songs I'm looking for are "Kalopa," "Lei E," "Aloha Oe" (ought to be pretty easy to find), "Lei Ana Ika Mokihana," and "Hu'I E." I'd take a shot at transcribing them from recordings I have, but I'd rather get the correct spelling, etc., rather than the phonetics I'd come up with.

Also, what's a good Haiwaiian to English dictionary? I would be using it mainly as a reference for lyrics, so I don't need the best, just good for translating. In other words, if I'm going to attempt to sing in Hawaiian, I'd like to have an idea what I'm singing about.

A little more to my ramble: recommended songbooks with any turn of the (last) century songs would be appreciated - especially if they have the melodies.

Mahalo!

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  9:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Here's some stuff that might be helpful:
Books of music & words:
King's Book of Hawaiian Melodies -- Centerbrook Publ, with a funky CD but it does give you the basic melodies.
R. Alex Anderson's "Famous Songs of Hawaii", Hal Leanard
"Favorite Hawaiian Songs" Hal Leonard
"The Complete Hawaiian Music Collection" Warner Brothers
- Authentic Songs from the Romantic Islands -- a series issued by Criterion Music Corp. about 40 songs a book - I think they are out of print but still around in a lot of places.

On Line - nothing better than Huapala Archives for words, some chords appearing. - Includes translations

Dictionaries:
Pukui & Elbert "Hawaiian Dictionary" still THE one to get.
If you have the extra $20 or so, it's worth getting Lorrin Andrews, "A Dict. of the Haw. Lang." - older book, expands range of meanings to many of the meanings common at the time the old songs were written.

There is also a lot of stuff for Uke out there, but I don't have it in my resources.

Gook luck

Raymond,
San Jose

Edited by - RJS on 10/05/2003 9:14:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000