Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Chord charts now available
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2002 :  5:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

Mark Nelson created some chord charts and wanted to share them here. Mahalo Mark!!!

Click here to see chord charts for Taro Patch, Double Slack, C Wahine. I hope you find them helpful. You can view either in your web browser or view/download the Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) files.

Andy

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2002 :  6:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Mark Nelson,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Hugs and 's, too.

I've been trying to figure out the chords from the applet, but there's to much to choose from.

Thanks to you, too, Andy.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  12:40:00 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui loa Mark and Andy! I'd write more praise, but I gotta grab my guitar and play these beautiful chords...

Duke

P.S. I was SHOCKED to find a copy of Raymond Kane's instruction video at our premier Maui music store today. No tabs, so it's look listen and learn ... I thought this video was not available.

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  4:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage

Thanks for the nice words on the chord charts. I'll be sending more along as they are finished -- I'll get a few done in time for the Aloha Camp this August, promise.

BTW: I did notice a typo on the Taro Patch page (yeah, Andy, another one.) The chord labeled "G13" (last one on the "extensions" line) is actually a "G11" - or, more to the point, an F major triad played over a G and D bass.

Is my face red.

Happy playing!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  10:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Mark,

You wrote:

"BTW: I did notice a typo on the Taro Patch page (yeah, Andy, another one.) The chord labeled "G13" (last one on the "extensions" line) is actually a "G11" - or, more to the point, an F major triad played over a G and D bass."

I knew that! (Right, sure I did.) I actually *was* puzzled with that one because I went over each unfamiliarly named chird with a fretboard map to see what it it was that made the name pertinent.

I also have another question:

The chord you labeled G sus 2 (with the open 1st string), you and Keola, in your tab of Kahuli Aku (the last) named a G add 9. I could figure this because the 2nd string is A, which is the 9th up from the root. So, is it because you include the open 1st string that the name changes?

Also in the same book is a common chord that you *don't* include (the 754x0x at the end of `Alekoki) which you guys call a G6/9 and I can't figure out that name at all.

I know you have nothing better to do than unconfuse me, but when you get a chance...

Mahalo,

Reid

Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  11:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
quote:

P.S. I was SHOCKED to find a copy of Raymond Kane's instruction video at our premier Maui music store today. No tabs, so it's look listen and learn ... I thought this video was not available.

I also thought that this was long since outta 'print'. Was it one new copy? Maybe they go bring 'em back! Hootah!

And let me add to the chorus of 'Mahalos' to Mark for da kine chord charts!!!

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  12:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Bruddah Chrispy--

Yep, the Ray Kane Video is new, although it was pretty dusty and looked as if it had been sitting on the shelf a long time. It was a tad on the expensive side ($39.95) but money wasn't an issue, especially since I thought it was out of print. I asked them if they were going to get more, but the store manager didn't think he'd be able to find it.

duke

Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  03:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui

Mark, these chord charts are so helpful :-) Thank you very much for sharing them with us! I am enjoying the chords to Keola's "C"right now.

Aloha no, Kawika

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  3:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Thanks for all the nice words on the chord charts.

Reid wrote:

The chord you labeled G sus 2 (with the open 1st string), you and Keola, in your tab of Kahuli Aku (the last) named a G add 9. I could figure this because the 2nd string is A, which is the 9th up from the root. So, is it because you include the open 1st string that the name changes?

Wellllllllll.... Naming chords is sort of an imperfect art. In the chord chard I called the chord a "sus 2," though I could have just as easily named it an "add 9."

To be precise, adding the 9 assumes you are including a note one octave plus a second above the root; whereas a sus 2 would be adding a note a second above the root. With the voicing I gave in the chord chart, the "A" sounds low in context to the other notes, and sounds to my feeble ears like a suspension.

Yep, it's exactly the same chord I called a "G add 9" in the book. No one has ever acused me of consistancy.

Mark-o

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  3:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Here's the 2nd half of that answer:

"Also in the same book is a common chord that you *don't* include (the 754x0x at the end of `Alekoki) which you guys call a G6/9 and I can't figure out that name at all."

That voicing has an "A" on top, which is the 9th degree of G; as well as a sixth -- the "E." The reason it's a "6/9" and not a "13" is because it doesn't have the seventh degree (an "F" natural).

As I said, naming chords is an imperfect art. The basic idea comes from good old western musical theory. Triadic harmony and all that. So a chord is made up of notes a third away from each other, like this: a root (G here), a third (B), and a fifth (D).

Yep, there are two kinds of thirds, major and minor. B is a major third above G; and D is a minor third above B.

If you keep adding thirds, the next tone you'd add is an F of some flavor or other. An F natural is a minor third above the D, and gives what's called a dominant seventh chord (G,B,D.F). An F# is a major third above D, giving a major seventh chord (G,B,D,F#).

OK, so what happens when you add another third? Yep - it's an A. Since you're adding it to a seventh chord, you'd call the result a G9 (if it's built off the dominant chord) or a Gmaj9 if it includes the major 7th (F#).

If you add some of the extensions to a chord that doesn't include the seventh, you have a couple of choices how to name it. So a chord with G-B-D-A could be a Gsus2, or a Gadd 9.

"I know you have nothing better to do than unconfuse me, but when you get a chance..."

No problemo. I only hope I haven't confused you further.

We now return to our regular programming....

Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  12:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Nice job on the chord charts.

I did notice two typos in the Taro Patch chart. In the fourth row of chords the chord 5567x7 is labeled "A" it should be an "A7". In the first row the G chord 534 appears twice.

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2002 :  2:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
"Right you are, Gary," he said, rummaging for his glasses.

When I get a chance (next Millenium??) I'll make the corrections and post 'em.

Sheepishly,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  10:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mark,

Mahalo for the chords. FYI, there is a program available at http://www.guitar-club.com/ called Guitar Chord Buster that you can dial in your tuning and get chord fingerings anywhere on the neck. It shows you a picture of the guitar neck.

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi wdf,

Andy gave us one of those. It's here. It's in the Learn menu item and called Tuning Applet. Download and it will print, too. I've used it.

Mark's charts are useful because he's already narrowed down the overwhelming choices the applet gives, and his charts are much more compact.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 05/26/2002 12:32:50
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  1:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree the applet is very handy and Mark's charts are extremely convenient. Guitar Chord Buster is more comprehensive and more versatile. You can set each string to any desired pitch. It actually plays the selected chords - plus a whole lot more.

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  1:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dusty/wdf,

I should have checked your link before spouting off. That's a cool piece of software, lot's of features.

Andy's applet and Mark's charts cost $55 less.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000